What's new

Glycerin

I’ve read that some people add glycerine to their aftershaves and sometimes shave soap. Where can I get glycerine locally and what’s the best deal?

I’d imagine they sell it at Walmart etc, but where in the store would it be?

Most pharmacies should have it, but not with the shaving stuff.
Try somewhere near the shelves with generic first aid remedies like peroxide, witch hazel, iodine, rubbing alcohol, mineral oil, etc.
My local drugstore has 100 ml bottles for CAD$3.99
That's certainly enough for experimenting with.
proxy.php

"Personelle" is their house brand (Jean Coutu pharmacies).

Most pharmacies should have it, but not with the shaving stuff.
Try somewhere near the shelves with generic first aid remedies like peroxide, witch hazel, iodine, rubbing alcohol, mineral oil, etc.
My local drugstore has 100 ml bottles for CAD$3.99
That's certainly enough for experimenting with.
proxy.php

"Personelle" is their house brand (Jean Coutu pharmacies).
Oh, OK. I’ll go check Walgreens tomorrow. Thanks

Ah, good to know. An area I would never venture to. Of course now I’ll look suspicious looking around in makeup aisles. Ha ha
Not if you act like you know what you're looking for.
If you're still shy, try carrying an aluminum clipboard with some random papers on it and occasionally jot something down.
proxy.php

I had a friend who claimed he could bluff his way into and wander around any facility as long as he had an aluminum clipboard and a pen.

While you're there, check out any Kabuki brushes with stubby handles. They don't totally suck as a shaving brush.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Ah, good to know. An area I would never venture to. Of course now I’ll look suspicious looking around in makeup aisles. Ha ha

I had to ask the sales lady if they carried it. She then directed me to the location....otherwise I would have never guessed to look there. LOL!!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Walmart, med section.

Right near the laxatives, etc. - which gives me an idea for an April Fools thread ... :a51:

AA

I think I’ll go to the cosmetology section and ask what I need to look pretty for date night. After shock and a sales pitch I’ll settle on gliserine.

I bought pure glycerin but did not enjoy it. It felt too much like syrup and isolating so my skin felt hot and uncomfortable. YMMV though. I also tried Sweet Almond Oil which is also dirt-cheap and scentless and had much better pre- and post-shaves with that with incredible skin feel. You could mix it... add a bit of Aloe Vera in there as well... perhaps some Shea-butter... some alcohol for anti-bacterial effect... maybe even some menthol for cooling? Could be very interesting;)

Last time I checked my local Walgreens, they stated they no longer carried glycerin. I have always been able to find it at Walmart in the skincare area near the pharmacies.

If a soap or A/S doesn't work, just move on. If you have to jump thru hoops, using distilled water, glycerin or whatever, it's not worth using. There are too many options available today to settle.

If a soap or A/S doesn't work, just move on. If you have to jump thru hoops, using distilled water, glycerin or whatever, it's not worth using. There are too many options available today to settle.
I hear you. I just wanted to experiment with a few drops in Williams. I’ve been getting great results but I’ll be the first to admit there is a learning curve and it is finicky.

While I admire the ingenuity of modern soaps and aftershaves my obsession (for the time being) is to stick with the classics.

I hear you. I just wanted to experiment with a few drops in Williams. I’ve been getting great results but I’ll be the first to admit there is a learning curve and it is finicky.

While I admire the ingenuity of modern soaps and aftershaves my obsession (for the time being) is to stick with the classics.
And when I say great I’ll admit Tabac will beat it 100% of the time in every aspect except slickness. But I’m a sucker for Nostalgia... even if both Williams and nostalgia aren’t what they used to be. (See what I did there?)

Top Bottom