What's new

Gillette Toggle Disassembly

You gentlemen are going to like this next bit...
$george-castanza-eating-popcorn-seinfeld-animated.gif

Capt, have you ever have a patient not make it?

Thank you guys:thumbup:

John, the only patient that has never survived was a Wizamet 10 from Poland, given to me by Goleniapl. It is still in a plastic bag though, waiting for one day when I can really work some magic:biggrin: My ultimate goal with that one was to make a custom hardwood replacement for the cracked plastic one. I could do the same thing with the Schick Krona if I set my mind to it.

As previously mentioned, Czech Czar's toggle had a free-spinning adjuster dial which led me to think that the click spring on the inside of the adjuster mechanism was either faulty or broken altogether. Well, on the first toggle that I disassembled, I studied the adjuster mechanism very closely to see if there was some way that it could be taken apart for servicing and repair. I made the decision not to explore this area as it featured a press-fitting...not the easiest joint to just take apart with your standard tools.

About a month went by and I received this one. The first thing I noticed was the free-spinning dial. I immediately knew that I would have to venture into unknown territory (for me at least, and there aren't any photos like the ones I am about to post) so I was somewhat nervous on this one.

Luckily, I had successfully removed a similar press-fitting on @GlennConti's 1956 Nickel Serial Toggle. I would not have been able to accomplish this task without the experience that I gained from Glenn's razor so thanks Glenn! Anyways, the two press-fittings on these toggles differed slightly but the basic principle was the same, that is, a larger piece pressed on the end of a smaller piece.

I had to rig a setup in order to stabilize the head assembly and then I quite literally extracted the press-fitting in the same fashion as Glenn's serial toggle. Surprisingly, it came off very easily. Of course, I had soaked it about 25 times in a combination of solutions including penetrating oils and such so needless to say, the parts were lubricated.

Anyways, here are the photos of the head assembly after I removed the press fitting:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425085401.347760.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425085415.872249.jpg
Now we can see the insides of the Gillette Toggle adjuster mechanism. The click spring is now exposed and we can see how everything works. In fact, in the Patent description, the inventors note that the blade gap is set by turning the collar up or down. Good stuff!

Last edited:
Thanks Tom! Here are some photos of the insides of the lower piece that I removed:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425086420.121655.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425086430.427161.jpg
As we can see, (and my initial suspicions were proven here) there is a very small piece of the click spring that is stuck on the inside.

CAP, I think I must have resembled the RCA dog looking at the piece of spring and the slot while tilting my head one way then the other. LOL

The top part of the head assembly was the worst. It was seized very badly and it took quite a bit of tinkering to get it apart. Ultimately, wiggling won the battle with this section. After I got it apart, I had a familiar feeling that I had with Glenn's NDC bottom dial:lol: Here are the photos of the upper section of the head assembly:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425091963.897932.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425091970.736607.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425091977.621865.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425091984.357609.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425091990.642433.jpg

As cool as Toggles are, you can really see why these didn't stand up to widespread production. These things are a Swiss watch compared to a Tech.

This one is an epically good dissassembly. That thing was used hard.
I was also doing the "RCA dog" thing with the pic. The photography skills were fine. My lack of knowledge was the problem. :001_rolle

As cool as Toggles are, you can really see why these didn't stand up to widespread production. These things are a Swiss watch compared to a Tech.

My thoughts exactly Sir. They needed to add some relief holes or something so all that water could run out. Pretty high tech stuff to cut hair off the face. Then again, now we have "flex balls".

Ladies and gentlemen of B&B, I humbly present the Gillette Toggle, fully disassembled:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425095769.622904.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425095780.357526.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425095790.799258.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425095799.786119.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425095809.775345.jpg
This adjustable razor consists of 21 pieces[emoji106]

Such a cool post of pictures. It makes me want to get a Toggle Cleaning Mat made up similar to those available for various guns. It also makes me think about all of those great thinkers of days gone by.

Such a cool post of pictures. It makes me want to get a Toggle Cleaning Mat made up similar to those available for various guns. It also makes me think about all of those great thinkers of days gone by.

Man they really showed a lot of ingenuity with these adjustables. Even the drawings amaze me. :lol: I'd have broken brass everywhere if I didn't have them.

Top Bottom