What's new

Gillette Tech differences ?

Hello guys.

Regarding the Gillette Tech, are there any differences in shaving (mildness) and feel (weight, etc) between the ball end handle versions and the 'other' handled versions ? Which do you prefer and why ?

Thanks for any insight.
chuck

There is no real differences in shave with the different handles to me but YMMV (your mileage may vary) when it comes to handles. Where the difference is in the head I own all but one variation of the heads and the Gillette 1932 Canadian Fat Handle Tech with triangular holes is the most aggressive (in the case of Techs shaves the best). The 1932 Canadian with oblong/oval holes is about equal to the USA Fat Handle Tech with triangular holes. See this link on blade gaps ( http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap ).
The only variation I don't have is a 1932 Canadian with what looks like the British head.

$Gillette Canadian Tech with British bottom plate (1).jpg

Short answer, yes, there are differences. I'm sure there are detailed threads on this somewhere on the forum and someone could probably write a book on the subject but I'll give you a run down of Tech's that I have personally own right now. I've probably had a dozen more but have either given them away to friends who were starting out or sold them in a den clean out last year.

A tech from a given year will have the same head. IE: a fat handle or ball end from 1954 will be the same razor, just with a different handle and I really think the handle comes down to personal preference. I like both just fine.

'39-'40 Pre War, Diamond hole tech - Very nice razor. Probably the most aggressive Tech I own but still very smooth.

'45-46 Gold Contract Tech - Gillette only made razors for the troops during the war (the so called Contract Techs) but once it was over they started selling them to the general public again. They used up parts they had and so for a bit there were Ball End Techs with the Contract handle being sold to the public. Some were gold plated. I shaved with mine this morning. It is a very smooth razor but great for a nice comfortable shave. Slightly less aggressive than the pre-war but slightly more aggressive than later models. I've been using this one a lot recently.

1954 Ball End Tech - A very mild razor that delivers a great shave! I love shaving with this razor.

1956 Fat Handel Tech - I notice no difference between this and the '54 Ball end.

1966 Ball End Tech - This one has an aluminum handle and is a bit lighter than the others. A mild razor for sure but I seem to always pick one of the others. I just don't quite like the feel of this one as much. Still a nice razor.

1973 Ball End Tech - Made in Argentina (I believe) This one also has an aluminum handle although it is a slightly more aggressive razor than the '66. Still very mild and smooth. I often travel with this razor.

This is a very small sample of Tech's and I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me could give you a better run down. Gillette made millions and millions of them over the years but I've never met one that I didn't like.

The Pre-War Techs from the various countries all shave very similar to me (I prefer these). The Post-War Techs from the various countries shave similar to one another as well, very mild razors. Oh yeah, YMMV.

My experience and understanding (from most aggressive to least aggressive) -

Flat bottom Tech (shaves much like a New long comb with a very similar profile to the baseplate, too aggressive for me)
Canadian 1932 triangular slot Tech (effective, friendly, a favorite)
US triangular slot Tech, pre-war (effective friendly, another favorite)
US oblong slot Tech, post-war (not as effective for me, very friendly, my headshaver when I shave that way and want a mild razor)

Photos of blade profiles - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/162987-Photo-Analysis-of-Razor-Designs?highlight=

Thanks for the great info guys.

I've been looking on ebay off and on for an attractive one (at an attractive price) but the ones I like went for $$$.
Sooner or later I guess I'll experience the Tech shave for myself.

chuck

I shaved with what I believe is a '46 ball end this morning. It was my first shave with this razor. Very mild for me...lot of touch up, but a good shave overall. To think about the story behind the 68 year old razor must be amazing. I wonder who and where this razor was used.

I've owned and tried the following:

Canadian "1932" Tech with triangular slots
American fat-handle Tech with triangular slots
American fat-handle Tech with regular slots

Aggressiveness goes from top to bottom. All are nice razors, but I prefer the triangular slot razors. The only one I still own in the Canadian one. It's a really nice head (I usually put it on an aftermarket handle).

I prefer a 1973 Tech.

I've owned Techs from 1965 through 1973. The smoothest one for me is the 1973 model. It may have been a Travel Tech, I don't recall. But the shave with as Astra SP blade is fine. It's my daily razor. I like it so that I've sold almost all my other razors, except for one new Progress that will go in Classifieds soon.

I've been looking on ebay off and on for an attractive one (at an attractive price) but the ones I like went for $$$.

chuck

Somehow I managed to land a late '40s Ball End off ebay a few days ago for $15. The only reason I know this thing was used is that inside the head was very slightly dirty. Beautiful shine!

Steve

I picked up an English Tech with a baseplate like in post #2. I had one great shave and one terrible shave with it. I have two more English Tech's coming, one with the Made in England on the bottom part of the baseplate (again, like the one in Post #2) and another with the MIE on the top part. We'll see if either shave differently. The Tech I have has some pitting on the guard plate, so I am wondering if that effects the quality of the shave.

I never thought I'd find myself looking for or shaving with a Tech, but I am now intrigued by the Tech's with the NEW style baseplate. We'll see how long list lasts. They may all end up in the B/S/T before long.

I too have several variations of Techs in my collection. The only one I genuinely enjoy shaving with is the pre-War variant and it's become both my daily and travel razor (replacing a 40's style SS and a '48-'50 Aristocrat). Having said that, the pre-War is a little too mild for my taste. Last night I pulled the trigger on a reasonably priced BIN Canadian pre-War "1932" Tech. Really looking forward to trying it out and the reviews above lead me to believe I will not be disappointed.

I picked up an English Tech with a baseplate like in post #2. I had one great shave and one terrible shave with it. I have two more English Tech's coming, one with the Made in England on the bottom part of the baseplate (again, like the one in Post #2) and another with the MIE on the top part. We'll see if either shave differently. The Tech I have has some pitting on the guard plate, so I am wondering if that effects the quality of the shave.

I never thought I'd find myself looking for or shaving with a Tech, but I am now intrigued by the Tech's with the NEW style baseplate. We'll see how long list lasts. They may all end up in the B/S/T before long.
Jeff check these pics out. Stamped Made in England below center, the guard is different.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/284203-TECH-Tuesday?p=6068547#post6068547

Here is a comparison shot of some Tech head variations from my collection.

proxy.php

From left:

Hybrid Tech (England), Flat bottom (England), Triangle slot (USA), Rectangular Slot (England), Rectangular slot (Canada), Late model rectangular slot (England), Open comb (England).

Chris,

You're amazing! Thanks for always giving us the full story and increasing the knowledge base around the forum with your examples. Your pictures are indeed worth a thousand words.

Just so you know...I've copied your pic and put it on my desktop. It's now my Tech collecting scorecard!

Cheers!

Rick

Jeff, the English Techs marked below the center, that I remember, were from Service Sets. Don't know if there are other examples.

Tom, I'm including a pic for reference. I didn't know of the differences either.

Jeff check these pics out. Stamped Made in England below center, the guard is different.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/284203-TECH-Tuesday?p=6068547#post6068547

Drifter, thank you SO much for that link and the pics. How would you describe the difference is shaves between the two Tech's with the different guards?

Are these the same two variants you're talking about??

$DSCN2000 (640x271).jpg

Last edited:
Tom, I'm including a pic for reference. I didn't know of the differences either.

Drifter, thank you SO much for that link and the pics. How would you describe the difference is shaves between the two Tech's with the different guards?

Are these the same two variants you're talking about??
Those are it Jeff.
They seem to shave the same, just my Tech that's stamped on the bottom has what seems to be a lip on the guard.
That's the best way I can describe it.

My experience and understanding (from most aggressive to least aggressive) -

Flat bottom Tech (shaves much like a New long comb with a very similar profile to the baseplate, too aggressive for me)
Canadian 1932 triangular slot Tech (effective, friendly, a favorite)
US triangular slot Tech, pre-war (effective friendly, another favorite)
US oblong slot Tech, post-war (not as effective for me, very friendly, my headshaver when I shave that way and want a mild razor)

Photos of blade profiles - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/162987-Photo-Analysis-of-Razor-Designs?highlight=

Yes, that is the order with the addition of the Hybrid Tech in first position. Photo of that head in Chris' post (first on the left).

Top Bottom