What's new

Gillette Super Speeds: Is There a Difference?

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I just bought my first Gillette Super Speed (above photo--bought it on eBay), a pre-195os razor (no date notation). I've seen Super Speed razors from the '40s through the early '70s, some with flared handle ends, adjustable notwithstanding; I'm trying to find out if there's a difference in the many Super Speed razors that were made by Gillette? I know at least some were manufactured in England, but of those made in the U.S., if someone might give many of us some historical reference on the difference in this razor's series, it may help many of us--I know it will help me when, if this goes as I think it will, buying additional Super Speeds.

The most recent Super Speed I owned, prior to this one, was in the service back in 1967--yeah, that far back. It was an adjustable with a black handle and it was not that good a razor. I was in the service and overseas at the time and amenities like select razors and blades were not readily available. So, my introduction to Gillette's Super Speed and its popularity began a short time ago on B&B and Youtube.

I'm excited to get razor in the coming week. My favorite razor to date is Merkur's Progress. I also own a couple EJ DE89s and other fixed-head closed- and open-comb Merkurs. Blades of choice are Persona Surgical Med Prep and Astra Superior Premium Platinum; brushes include several EJ badger and Omega boar bristle; and my soaps of choice are Mitchell's Woolfat and Arko. Thanks for the assist, guys.

Tom, thanks for the link. I'm really looking forward loading the Super Speed and giving it a trial run.

Roger

This last week or so I have been enjoying a Milord every morning. They are just like the Super Speed, but have gold plating and came in a nicer case. They are all great shaves in my book.

Now you've got me on a quest, one that I'm enjoying immensely. I just looked at a 1947 Super Speed. Is it that different years shave differently, I understand the SS with the red handle end is more aggressive than other models? Perhaps the answer is really subjective.

Red tip is definitely more aggressive than other super speeds. But very smooth. It was so smooth that I couldn't feel how it was filleting my face. I like 40s style super speed. It's built well and like how it feels in my hand.

Filleting your face!? Man, I roared when I read your comment! Beautifully characterized. I'll keep this in mind whilst looking. My Gillette prospects include a Tech, Milord (thanks to Tom's recommend), and, perhaps, a '47 Super Speed. I have a new Feather AS-D1 I may sell to accommodate some new purchases.

I only own two razors, both super speeds. One british, has Rocket side plates and flair tip, and another one with the standard end, which I don't remember the date of. I use my British almost exclusively. Great shave with Astra Superior Platinums and C.O. Bigelow cream.

-Xander

I love my Superspeed. It is the one I use to try out new blades, as it provides such consistent, effortless shaves, I can actually concentrate on the differences between blades. It is the gold standard that I compare other razors to.

Mike

The 40's style superspeeds are so smooth and mild. Judging by the notched center bar I would guess late 40ish early 50ish maybe? Such a well made razor, that will give you plenty of consistent shaves.

The 40's seem to be the best built and sweetest blade angle of all SS's. I also love Aristocrats, Rockets, Ranger Techs, and Milords from the 40's. While I do like my '56 Red Tip, other standard SS's of the 60's and 70's seem rattly and poorly built in comparison.

Great decade for Gillette!!

Any Super Speed, properly applied, is a good shaver. The '58 TV has the added bonus of being, IMHO, the best looking one in the family. The straight knurling on the handle makes it look lean and mean!

Any Super Speed, properly applied, is a good shaver. The '58 TV has the added bonus of being, IMHO, the best looking one in the family. The straight knurling on the handle makes it look lean and mean!
Thanks. I bought it for the looks, and wondered how it was actually shaving. Can't wait for it to arrive.

The Super Speed is a timeless classic. I just picked up another one from an antique shop I pass by every day. It's minty, and for $7.50 I just couldn't pass it up.

Gillette changed the head profile around 1963 or so; therefore any SS's made after that date shave differently than the earlier ones. Also, they began to cheapen the razors as well, making them thinner and "tinnier," if you know what I mean. Personally I wouldn't own anything made by Gillette after about 1962.

I love my Red Tip, and will continue to use it. But -- and I know it's an adjustable -- I find my slim smoother on almost every setting. Still love my shaves with the Red Tip though.

Top Bottom