What's new

Gillette Super Blue Razor

Hi,

I picked up one of these razors from Ali. Overall, this is a decent tech clone for very little $$. It is about $5-6 delivered.

It is mild and light as you would expect. The construction is fine with no major defects. It is just a tad gritty when you assemble the razor. Probably some light use will wear in the threads and smooth it out. I added a drop of machine oil.

I use a tech most of the time so there were no surprises with this razor. It is mild. I did my standard 3 pass shave and I opened up the razor 1/16th of a turn on the last pass. I got a BBS with a fair amount of touch-up. Nothing surprising if you are familiar with later model techs.

Given the weight, price and availability I plan to use this for travel and backpacking. Light enough to drop in my travel/backpacking gear, cheap enough to not be a tragedy if it is lost, stolen or eaten and effective enough to give me a good shave on the road with minimal moaning, sobbing or wailing.

I would recommend it for this kind of use. If you want a daily driver, you might consider an aftermarket handle to beef up the weight a bit, but the head was as well constructed as any late model tech I have seen.

For newbies, I wouldn't recommend it. I wouldn't recommend a late model tech either. There is more of a learning curve with either than my newbie favorite, the Merkur HD.

lasta

Blade Biter
I always pick one up when I'm on business trips in China. Usually with a pack of 5 or a single Gillette Blue Blade (good blade BTW).

Gets the job done, no need to pack for check-in.

But not exactly a long term replacement for a good tech. The head and baseplate are so thin that they "cave in" over time.

I purchased the Super Blue (from Ali), and the Laser Ultra and Sterling from the bay. The Super Blue is from China and the Laser and Sterling are from India. I wanted to compare the new Tech versions to my actual Gillette Tech's. So far, the Gillette Super Blue is the best of the three by a significant margin. It has a shave nearly identical to my 1951 Bakelite Handle Tech (both are light weight with plastic handles). I would highly recommend the Super Blue as the best of the modern Tech equivalents which I have purchased. I also have the Baili and Weishi versions, but they are slightly larger and are not as close to the original Gillette Tech architecture. For me, the Super Blue blades are just "OK" for one shave. IMHO, for the price, the Chinese Gillette Super Blue is an excellent value for those who want a modern razor with a "Tech Like" shaving experience.

I believe it is a better deal and razor than the plastic Wilkie and use it myself and as gift to budding DE shavers. In my travel bag I have the original handle for headshaving and an Ikon Tuckaway for my face.
71EC6E9A-5C2A-4D5D-BA55-6A44BA9B0ACD.jpeg

This was my first razor in June 2018, I used an reverse shim to shave my head and for my beard I used a shim.

I broke my hand a long time ago, I have arthrosis in my right hand with which I shave.
I think I'll go back to this razor forever, I will never find a razor that is so light.

Overall, this is a decent tech clone for very little $$.
It is not a Tech clone. It is A Gillette razor made by Gillette Shanghai Ltd. by the specifications of the 70s Techs. In the late years the brass bottom plate has been changed to aluminium.
I would highly recommend the razor to beginners, just like the 70s Techs. Because they will learn to maintain the right angle at all times.

I believe it is a better deal and razor than the plastic Wilkie and use it myself and as gift to budding DE shavers. In my travel bag I have the original handle for headshaving and an Ikon Tuckaway for my face.
View attachment 1380660
Don't even get me started on that so called razor by Wilkinson. It is actually a Treet. Odd geometry, odd angles. Tried so many times different blades, creams etc., etc. Never achieved BBS. And I can get a BBS with the mildest Tech.

Last edited:
It is not a Tech clone. It is A Gillette razor made by Gillette Shanghai Ltd. by the specifications of the 70s Techs. In the late years the brass bottom plate has been changed to aluminium.
I would highly recommend the razor to beginners, just like the 70s Techs. Because they will learn to maintain the right angle at all times.

Don't even get me started on that so called razor by Wilkinson. It is actually a Treet. Odd geometry, odd angles. Tried so many times different blades, creams etc., etc. Never achieved BBS. And I can get a BBS with the mildest Tech.
the office agree GIF by EditingAndLayout

I used it continuously for a month in April and to conclude a friendly argument with @ivan_101 about the nature of the cap and plate I sawed it in half 😱

Naturally Ivan was right and I can say without a doubt that the Super Blue has a Zamak top with an aluminum baseplate.

View attachment 1380841

View attachment 1380842
Yes, it was a friendly argument. We didn't fight with knives. You have more, anyway. (Knives, not Super Blues) :lol:

Today I shaved with this razor and for the first time I used a Voskhod blade.
I have a sensitive skin, only one pass WTG, DFS without irritation, I am astonished it was the first time I used this blade.

I wonder what other blades can work as well with this razor ?

In the past I did not have such good results with this razor.

Today I shaved with this razor and for the first time I used a Voskhod blade.
I have a sensitive skin, only one pass WTG, DFS without irritation, I am astonished it was the first time I used this blade.

I wonder what other blades can work as well with this razor ?

In the past I did not have such good results with this razor.
More than 10 factors here. You should find by yourself because it is strongly individual. If I load a Voskhod in the Super Blue it just won't cut my heavy beard. Voskhods aren't sharp blades.

@Multum in parvo , I tested the Perma-Sharp for the first time today, I have a sensitive skin, only one pass WTG with cold water. I had some irritation in the neck, I had no irritation with the two shaves with the Voskhod blade.

I will see on Friday how shaving number 2 works.

@Multum in parvo , I tested the Perma-Sharp for the first time today, I have a sensitive skin, only one pass WTG with cold water. I had some irritation in the neck, I had no irritation with the two shaves with the Voskhod blade.

I will see on Friday how shaving number 2 works.
Perma-Sharps are on the upper end of the sharpness scale. Most of the time the second shave is smoother. Voskhods seem to work for me only in more aggressive razors than the Techs —> Progress @ 3.5 and upwards.

View attachment 1380660
I also keep about five on hand to gift to new shavers. I think it is a fine first razor and it shaves better than most of my more expensive razors.

I have seen some QC problems but they are fixable with time and pliers and I don't expect a Cadillac out of a $4.00 razor. Thankfully, more often than not when I make this purchase I get the Cadillac hidden in the old barn for 30 years.

Top Bottom