What's new

Gillette Super Adjustable - The Black Beauty

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Just recently took delivery on a Black Beauty. You, sir, are correct: it is a GREAT leg razor! Feels like an extension of my hand. Thing was born to shave. And it looks so darn classy.

Patti

Gillette Knack and Feather Popular have similar length, though are non-adjustable.

AA

Just recently took delivery on a Black Beauty. You, sir, are correct: it is a GREAT leg razor! Feels like an extension of my hand. Thing was born to shave. And it looks so darn classy.

I fully subscribe to that POV. :a14:

This beauty shaves like nobody's business, it's love at first shave, so to say. :001_tt1:

BTW, I checked the date code and found it to be X2, i. e. the razor must be from 1977, the year when Gillette replaced the nickel-plated metal base plates with black plastic base plates. It's kind of impressive to hold a razor that is still in a very good condition and that was probably used for the first time two or three years before I even had my very first shave.

Have been curious about how the nylon baseplate shave compares with the brass but I ran my course buying Fatboys, Slims and brass baseplate SAs for my sons and I.

Love to hear someone weigh in on differences between the nylon and brass on shave quality. I think the black nylon look is prettier but I was unable to find NOS versions for my boys way back. I see more on auction now since that time though.

Mine is in the sonicating bath at the moment, hopefully I'll get it freed up and working right in time to start a new blade on Friday (7 O'Clock Black this time).

Love to hear someone weigh in on differences between the nylon and brass on shave quality.

Since you don't shave with the base plate, it's probably more important, which blade you use. :001_cool:

IIRC, the weight difference between the 109 w/ nickel-plated metal base and the 109 w/ black nylon base is 11 g (0.39 oz.), i. e. 69 g (2.44 oz.) vs. 58 g (2.05 oz.).

Since you don't shave with the base plate, it's probably more important, which blade you use. :001_cool:

IIRC, the weight difference between the 109 w/ nickel-plated metal base and the 109 w/ black nylon base is 11 g (0.39 oz.), i. e. 69 g (2.44 oz.) vs. 58 g (2.05 oz.).

I think I would agree with you if we were talking about a Slim, with a brass handle. The big thing I noticed from shaving with my Slim and my SA is balance. My Super 84 aluminum short handle is very top heavy compared to my Slim and both share basically the same head. My Slim is a 66 so both brass baseplates are the same unlike earlier Slims with a more open baseplate like the Fatboys.

There were no Super 84s with nylon baseplates but the 109 is just about the same weight because of that light aluminum handle.

People always say that Gillette went to nylon to save money, but you could probably argue that this change also balanced out that razor also.

People always say that Gillette went to nylon to save money, but you could probably argue that this change also balanced out that razor also.

It could have possibly been changed for both reasons, i. e. so as to save cost and to balance out the razor. :001_cool:

Personally, I don't really mind why they changed the base plate since I only know the S. A. 109 with the black nylon plate and have found the razor to be well balanced, easy to handle and overall a very good tool. And it's a beauty, too.

It could have possibly been changed for both reasons, i. e. so as to save cost and to balance out the razor. :001_cool:

Personally, I don't really mind why they changed the base plate since I only know the S. A. 109 with the black nylon plate and have found the razor to be well balanced, easy to handle and overall a very good tool. And it's a beauty, too.

What always amazes me about the nylon baseplate is that they always look in great shape even on the most abused SAs you will see on auction sites. I think if the carts didn’t work out for Gillette like their other experiments in the late 60s and early 70s, they probably would have gone to all nylon DE razors at some point or something along the line of the Wilkinson Classic razor.

What always amazes me about the nylon baseplate is that they always look in great shape even on the most abused SAs you will see on auction sites. I think if the carts didn’t work out for Gillette like their other experiments in the late 60s and early 70s, they probably would have gone to all nylon DE razors at some point or something along the line of the Wilkinson Classic razor.

Probably would look just like the 7 O'Clock Super Platinum razor they sell in India, but would cost $7 here. Just like a Mach 3 handle.

The S. A. 109 cost $1.95 when it was released in 1969, but due to inflation, the price was later adjusted to $2.95.

One should have bought a few dozen of them and auctioned them off as NOS one by one on eBay 40 years later... ;)

I may be alone here... I have a 3rd quarter 1976 black beauty and I cannot get a good shave out of it. I’ve tried different settings and dofferent blades and still, it is too aggressive. My fat boy, however, gives be perfect shaves.
This has turned me off in obtaining. Birth year (4th quarter 1987) black beauty. There is one that has been on ebay that I have been keeping an eye on but I would want to use it daily.

At least yours is too aggressive, mine is mild to the point of completely ineffective, even on 7. The handle was loose when I got it, I think it's out of wack some way, will have to investigate on how to take it apart and assemble correctly. I also think both sides of the safety bar are bent up on one end, too!

I will move my fresh 7 O'Clock Black to my Slim for tomorrow's shave -- it felt great while I was shaving but I was feeling stubble by 10 am.....

i think that it should be more aggressive than the fatboy so if yours is mild, it may have been dropped or something and misaligned on one side. i would have it looked at carefully and possibly revamped.

I'm pretty sure the safety bar is bent, or the blade mechanism is goofy. Super mild, very comfortable because the edge doesn't seem to touch my face!

I find the long handle an annoyance, too, so may pass it on.

I have 2 109's and now 2 84's all O's. I think I get better head shaves w the 84's. The first 84 I got looked almost new, i went through the routine of cleaning/disinfecting and when ready to use it....realized the "clicker" on the setting was broken. You can see the leaf spring cut in two. Now the problem is that the gradual base plate adjustment does three 360 degree turns. Imposible to guess at what setting it is, as it starts on a #3 and ends on a #7. Used it many times a bit scared (guessing/comparing to another working adjustable). Fixing it was $$, so I was able to get a new/old yesterday and had a great shave with it.

Ended up with one in a lot purchase, was tempted to just give it to a friend but cleaned it up, repainted the numbers and put a fresh GSB in it for a spin first. WOW, the head is similar to a Slim but seems a lot heavier (maybe the long handle?). Played with the adjustment and landed on #9 for a super smooth, comfortable, long lasting shave! Never gave it to my friend;) Definitely worth having as a daily razor, not that expensive, well built.

Top Bottom