What's new

Gillette Super Adjustable Longevity

The question is, has anyone used a Gillette Super Adjustable exclusively for a long period of time? I don't think there is much of a difference between models. Yes, the second two have a plastic base plate, inside the head is square instead of diamond shaped, and the third incarnation moves to diamond knurling, of which, I have all three of these. I don't have the short version or the Gold version(the Gold version could have a subset of problems with the plating).

The main weakness I see is the resin on the handle. Many used ones don't look that great. I have and had SA's but only used in rotation and always cleaned, removed blade, and dried between uses so I have never seen any decay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think any of these vintage razors will wear out. The fact that many of them have survived into modern day speaks to the build quality and materials. Ones that don't look so good were likely abused and/or neglected.

I have both a Slim and a Fatboy, and they will out-live me for sure.

FWIW, SAs are thought of highly by the members of this forum.

I have a theory with the supers, They do tend to tighten up or squeak and lose the quarter turn more than the slim etc.
Having stripped down a few I see the evidence of my theory. - The tube of the handle is aluminium and the shaft down the center is steel. It looks a lot like the cross section of a battery! Add alkaline soap into the space between and that's pretty much what you get. Of the supers I've had to disassemble to fix there has been green debris inside and erosion of the inside of the tube. So keep that tube clear of soap, just in case I'm right:)

Things last if you take care of them, some people treat everything they own bad. Recall when I was serving civil papers in late 70's, have order to pick up a current year VW Bug over a small debt. Car has under 1300 miles, was total trash, and was dented in more places than I could count. Some people are animals.

R

romsitsa

There is no resin involved it is anodized aluminum. The handle can rot (galvanic corrosion) if stored improperly. The shaft is plated brass.

There is no resin involved it is anodized aluminum. The handle can rot (galvanic corrosion) if stored improperly. The shaft is plated brass.
From a site that was censored from my original post:

"The hallmark of the Super Adjustable family is the black handle which is a resin coated aluminum."

R

romsitsa

And what is the source of information on that page?
Ever wondered why some BB-s a Super speeds turn purple? Because the handles are anodized aluminum.

Reactions: Kix
The question is, has anyone used a Gillette Super Adjustable exclusively for a long period of time?
Now i don’t qualify for your question since i have got both my Super Adjustable fairly recent. I will just give my 2 cents base on logical reasoning. Out of the “3”(not considering the toggle since is super rare)Adjustable the Super was the last one produced which means most SA in the market are in better shape than most fatboys and slims. Well thats obviously depends on razor by razor cases but most SA will most likely have less year of uses comparable speaking to a fatboy or slim so less use = less deterioration. And this has been my experience looking around the market to buy vintage razors, most SA are in great shape, can’t say the same for most fatboys(excluding replanted ones). Has gillette made SA with less quality compared to slims and fatboys? I don’t believe so, I think SA are the same as any other gillette qualitatively speaking, but this is me speculating since i don’t own any other Gillette adjustable.

Has gillette made SA with less quality compared to slims and fatboys?
I think that in their race for market leadership cost efficiency was the main driver to move from brass (Fatboy and Slim) to aluminium (SA). Is that less quality? No, just different materials, but still with an eye on longevity (it was always about the blades not the razor). If they weren’t for for cost reduction we would have seen Zamak razors now in Gillettes stable. And Zamak was used in the end for the modern Techs, but the SA era is not that era.

I have a SA 109 and it is simply amazing - it is also the most effective of the adjustables compared to the Slim and Fatboy.

I do take extra care in drying and cleaning it and I store it with rather loose doors so there is less stain on the threads. I think it will still have years of good shaves ahead of it as @Quaznoid already mentioned.

Cheers,

Guido

Ps Marlin, my post is not necessarily a straight answer to your post. I merely used your remark as a starter.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
And the source is?
The "Anodized and Dyed Black Extrusions Turning Green and Purple" you quoted is also not directly related to Gillette products at all.

So the fact is that unless we can send an SA to the test, no one can represent the answer.

At least the site I'm citing is from the representative Gillette Adjustable knowledge base of the wet shaving world, which is more relevant than the link you provided.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have a theory with the supers, They do tend to tighten up or squeak and lose the quarter turn more than the slim etc.
Having stripped down a few I see the evidence of my theory. - The tube of the handle is aluminium and the shaft down the center is steel. It looks a lot like the cross section of a battery! Add alkaline soap into the space between and that's pretty much what you get. Of the supers I've had to disassemble to fix there has been green debris inside and erosion of the inside of the tube. So keep that tube clear of soap, just in case I'm right:)

You are right! I have owned a Gillette Fat Boy, birth year Slim and the Super Adjustable Long Handle Black Beauty. With metal base plate. The SA Black Beauty was the best of the three for me, but all have come and gone due to my preference for much thinner razor heads.

My black beauty started sticking and getting stiff just as you said, so I started squirting a bit of isopropyl alcohol down into it while working the controls, which freed it up and got it working as good as new. I can only think; that it was mineral deposits from hard water and soap scum getting down inside as you suggest.

I shaved with it for quite a few years before giving it to a new wet shaving convert. I told him to always squirt a bit of alcohol down inside when cleaning the razor after every shave to combat any mineral deposits and soap scum and he won’t have any trouble.

:)

I hate to be wrong, although the website I linked seemed very official and authoritative. This Replating website lists it as anodized. Link might get censored like my first link so I'll also quote it below:
"Manufactured: USA
Original Finish: Nickel + Black Anodized Aluminum
Weight: 69g
Handle Length: 109mm"

I just used a Super Adjustable for the first time in a decade. Set to 9. Very mild. Like using a Tech. Ten years ago I got cut up. What a difference technique has.

I have one of every adjustable. All work as intended. Just buy right and take care of it. And yes, they are anodized.

I have been using it for over a decay, let's say 12 to 25 times a year, so maybe not what you would consider an extended use.. I don't know much about its previous life, it was given to me circa 2007. Still looks very good.
IMG_20230809_171254915.jpg

Top Bottom