What's new

Gillette slim twist made in England

IMG_20230915_165111.jpg

I have recently acquired this vintage razor and I am really pleased with how it shaves. I find it more efficient than the Gillette flair tip and smoother than the knack Gillette razor which is supposed to be the same just having longer and thinner blue handle. What I do not like about this razor is the handle. Does anyone know if this handle is hollow? I am thinking of cutting just 3/4cm off the handle. Does a super speed from 40/50's shave similarly?

yep, cut off as much as you want, the metal head is only about quarter inch in the plastic, but i cant remember if they are hollow or solid plastic handles. It's only a white one .... now if you were contemplating cutting an orange or a green ... I would've cried :D

yep, cut off as much as you want, the metal head is only about quarter inch in the plastic, but i cant remember if they are hollow or solid plastic handles. It's only a white one .... now if you were contemplating cutting an orange or a green ... I would've cried :D
Yes, it turned out to be hollow. I cut off a bit and now it handles much better. I have a wonderful travel razor now;). I did not know that there were so many handle color variations of this model. I have only seen this one and a slim twist with gold plated head which is referred to as 'deluxe'. Here is my razor now

Attachments

• IMG_20230921_142411.jpg
    IMG_20230921_142411.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20230921_142405.jpg
    IMG_20230921_142405.jpg
    954.7 KB · Views: 34
Yes, it turned out to be hollow. I cut off a bit and now it handles much better. I have a wonderful travel razor now;). I did not know that there were so many handle color variations of this model. I have only seen this one and a slim twist with gold plated head which is referred to as 'deluxe'. Here is my razor now
Cool ..... I've often thought of buying the white ones to make custom handles ..... i did say thought :D

Cool ..... I've often thought of buying the white ones to make custom handles ..... i did say thought :D
It would be nice if the head can be installed in a wooden handle similar to some of the Fatips models with metal end but then a bit shorter.

View attachment 1720885
I have recently acquired this vintage razor and I am really pleased with how it shaves. I find it more efficient than the Gillette flair tip and smoother than the knack Gillette razor which is supposed to be the same just having longer and thinner blue handle. What I do not like about this razor is the handle. Does anyone know if this handle is hollow? I am thinking of cutting just 3/4cm off the handle. Does a super speed from 40/50's shave similarly?
It’s a beauty !

It would be nice if the head can be installed in a wooden handle similar to some of the Fatips models with metal end but then a bit shorter.
That could probably be done by cutting off the plastic part, then drilling and tapping the metal part of the handle to fit a grub screw with the correct thread size for the wooden handle.

Top Bottom