What's new

Gillette Silver Blue I Love You! 27th November To 4th December 2023! Sign Up GSB Cultists And Fans Of This Classic Blade!

Silvana Bluetata comrades! A fresh GSB in a 57 Superspeed made for a great shave! I'll repeat it again tomorrow!
IMG_20231201_182044.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_8842.jpeg

Gillette Silver Blue love week shave number six. Star DE safety razor and Gillette Silver Blue blade both on their sixth shaves of the week. This blade is still going strong after six shaves and will easily hit my mark of seven shaves per blade.

Date02.12.2023
365 daily shaves
336/365
DecemBOAR02/31
DEcember03/31
Lasta’s Blade Stash09/32

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Gillette Silver Blue (7)Zenith 502B XSE
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Kox Dutchy Bergamot
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)9/10 (Weeper)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.75/10 (DFS+++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary - Second shave with the Rocca and again superb. A very well needed start of the weekend.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

December 2

1701514905585.png

Razor: Gillette Super Speed (1950s)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: Semogue 1250 boar
Soap: Signature Soaps Coria
A/S: Dickinson's witch hazel
A/S: Epsilon Blue

DFS+

I enjoy the throwback feel of these vintage Gillette razors like the Super Speed, NEW, and Tech. This one is in great shape, maybe just a few spots on the plating after 60+ years. A fairly gentle, daily driver type of razor. Of course, the GSB is a good match for it.

Last edited:
sotd TOBS.jpeg

yeah TOBS is amazingly good stuff also and for sure this is also one of my favorite scents :)

I wanted ONE soap to use and perfect but this stuff lathers up so easy so nicely I am almost kinda of wondering
keep saying my top 3-4 scents of soap that work well to rotate and enjoy
so still have to find my favorite Noble Otter scent and need to get some others to know but samples are out at the stores that sell them

but this Tobs and their Creed homage might be worth having along with the SV Opuntia and CC Cream Venture and whatever Noble Otter I love the most.
but then a side of me does not want that :) hahahah BUT man this stuff smells so good! and the shave was PERFECT

that is the good thing like blades the top say 4 are all so great we have so many wonderful choices and they do seem to all be so close that somedays they kinda change places to what my favorite is :)

This that is the great thing about having so many choice, its great to have but also makes you have to try and be selective otherwise you end up with more stuff than you will thinking of, but it all depends on one standard's.

One of my first shaving soaps was TOBS Sandalwood (been wethshaving over 1 year now) and I have the entire line (don't use the pre) but the cream, aftershave and aftershave balm. I still enjoy whipping up the TOBS because I enjoy how easily it whips up a lather, I always use too much, its actually one of things I like about it.

I know there are other Sandalwoods, probably should get one of the good ones scent wise, but I still enjoy the TOBS Sandalwood and how it lathers up (and I don't need anymore soaps honestly) welll eh anyhow I'll stop myself there because I know how this goes.

Anyhow I'll go onto and say what needs to be said in this thread Gillette Silver Blue (GSB, whether new or old) Number One to keep things in order here rofl. :001_smile

SOTD December 2nd 🏈🥃🎸🍺🎬🔪
December 2023 GRUME
DecemBOAR 2023 🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗
Gillette Silver Blue I Love You!
SV Saturday
Semogue Saturdays

Hello friends

A warm sunny Saturday afternoon. Perfect day for SV Anniversary 70th, Semogue SOC Mistura, Greencult 2.0 plate IV, Gillette Silver Blue (4) and Brut Oceans. A shave so deep that it almost touched my soul…

With us, the masterful Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers.

Rating: 10

Have a nice weekend and great shaves.
❤️🪒

0552EAA7-3544-4F87-A01A-9D063D88A087.jpeg
IMG_3570.jpeg

Razor: English Gillette Flaretip Rocket c. 1960-2
Blade: GSB (3)
Brush: Wilko Synthetic (Wonderful brush with a lovely face feel. All rounder)
Soap: Cella
AS Balm: Nivea
IMG_20231202_180104237.jpg
Took the English Flaretip Rocket for a trot today. I picked this up near mint for a great price months ago. I almost forgot I had it. The early 50's Rocket has been seeing all the action lately, but this razor blew me away. Very efficient and very smooth. Again that hint of extra efficiency of these English Gillettes came through. Much like a 40's Super Speed but a touch more. Beautiful condition, and they really did great plating work at the Isleworth factory back in the day.

This Wilko brush always makes me smile. A lovely scrubber and painter with a soft undemanding knot but with good backbone. All this for £2.50. Obviously I bought 4 when the clearance price went down to £1.50. I mean come on!

Got a good Cella lather going in the tub and loaded up the brush for 3 almondy passes. The GSB on trip 3 is now at it's peak. coating is gone and the blade will be good for 2-3 more great shaves. Paired with the Flaretip it sorted out a 3 day growth pronto. No fuss efficiency.

For my usage, the GSB, Wizamet, Nacet and a new blade to me, which greatly impresses, the Perma-Sharp make up the mainstay of my stash now. These are wonderful blades all.

I had been neglecting the GSB somewhat. On a prolonged Nacet binge. I had forgotten how cleanly sharp and smooth they were for my face. This has been a pleasant re-acquiring of an old friend's company.

Nice, nice shave.

Last edited:
Since I have been doing a shave with a different blade for each week since the beginning of the year, I could not jump in and participate. I had already dedicated a week to the GSB.

However, I did decide to put my 2¢ in anyway!

These are my notes from 9/3, which concluded my week with the GSB:

Week 35 Ends: Blade is the Gillette Silver Blue (GSB).

As usual, perfect, fantastic shaves. Not to imply that the K.C.G. was not. But with the King costing 70-cents each and the GSB costing around 15-cents each, there is no contest here.

Markedly better than the Gillette Platinum, which has more of an old school feel.

I did skip two days, as I did with the Platinum and K.C.G., to have a more just comparison. That shave was done with the R41 head. The rest of the shaves were done with the K.C.G. razor, which is only fitting.

Still several more excellent shaves possible from the G.S.B.

The GSB has already been and remains one of my most favored DE blades. I find it similar to the US made Personna Lab Blue.

The GSB is an ultra smooth shaving blade. I find that the Treet King is a similar shaving blade and has been selling for under $10/hundred on Amazon, making it even more attractive.

The Voshkod's were a value-menu version of the GSB's. But that was back when they were selling for under $10/hundred.

The Gillette 7-O'clock Yellow's offer a similar performance. These PPI blades are still available on Amazon and are priced in the mid teens.

The only blade I have found that bests the GSB is the Gillette 7-O'clock Black's, which are considerably more expensive at $32/hundred.

To me, the GSB's remain the mid priced high performance mainstay of the PPI Gillette factory.

Three shaves on my first GSB, only the first had a good prep. I generally shower and night and shave in the AM, but not daily. The first shave was amazing and smooth. I feel that a blade that needs to "break in" to be a good shaver should be corked or something. I like out-of-the-box goodness.

Today's third shave was a hot face wash with an Arko stick and Barbasol. The shave was fine. Not super close, but the blade still felt great. I'm not reaching for a BBS shave every time or at the risk of irritation.

Todays shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.

Razor: Gillette Slim adjustable

Blade: GSB

Soap/cream Abbate Y La Mantia Matteo 9,11

Brush: Semogue 1305
Balm: Thayers Milky Face Toner

Aftershave: Fine Latigo

BBS

lasta

Blade Biter
Yaqi Mellon SS, GSB (4), Omega Midget, CRS Wild Rose, Floid.

The small piglet barely held enough lather for two passes, so glide wasn't as good as I'm used to. But, the razor and blade combo stepped up and carried the day!

4th shave using the old GSBs and I am once again reminded why they are my favourite!

DFS+.
20231203_115153.jpg

@Osyri Glad of you to join us. Your blade is really impressive, either its older than you or you managed to mangle it after 1 shave or many shaves, this I cannot tell but what I can say it has seen alot, must have been thru alot.

Mighty fine razor you have there, the Mighty Tech. :yesnod: Not the only mighty razor around but a mighty razor nevertheless.

Top Bottom