What's new

Gillette Rocket HD500 razor

Evening all,

Got this beauty delivered from the bay today and after giving it a good clean/disinfecting decided to have a shave with it. What a nice experience it gave providing a smooth shave.
I usually use a Muhle R89 as my preferred choice of razor but this beauty will be getting a lot of use in the future.
Does anyone have any information on this razor? If so I would be interested.

Regards, Ripitup
IMG_0605.JPG
IMG_0606.JPG

I shaved with my Rocket HD 500 yesterday and it is a great razor. One of the smoothest TTO's available. Mid 1950's. Congratulations!

mr-razor solid guard bar

"PATENT PENDING" in the blade tray should be 53-54
"BRIT.PAT. 694093" is 55-60, but there is also with and without "II" under the head which complicates things.

I have a pair of 694093's without the "II" in blue plastic cases and each seller told me that they thought they were 55-56, but who knows for sure.

Congrats on this great razor. The Rocket HD 500 is one of the best shavers out there. Yours looks to be a fine example as well.

You'll find lots of detailed information about this razor on the forum, lots of people have posted about the history, the different models and how they compare with other similar or related Gillette razors.

The HD500 and the MD500 are two of my favourites along with the related Aristocrat Junior.

Congrats on this great razor. The Rocket HD 500 is one of the best shavers out there. Yours looks to be a fine example as well.

You'll find lots of detailed information about this razor on the forum, lots of people have posted about the history, the different models and how they compare with other similar or related Gillette razors.

The HD500 and the MD500 are two of my favourites along with the related Aristocrat Junior.

I agree. These razors are mild, and incredibly easy to use. The TTO was at its peak with the British TTO models from the late-40s and 50s.

Thanks for the information. I've used the razor 4 times since I got it last week. It delivers a truly wonderful smooth shave. I'm going to use it as my go to razor and put the Muhle R89 away for a while.
Would like an aristocrat but prices are really high at the moment. Don't think Ill ever buy a new razor after experiencing the rocket.

I was actually disappointed by the mildness.
I have techs that are more efficient.
I suppose I was expecting something more efficient along the lines of a Red Tip.

As a piece of functional art it is amazing.

I was actually disappointed by the mildness.
I have techs that are more efficient.
I suppose I was expecting something more efficient along the lines of a Red Tip.

As a piece of functional art it is amazing.

That's a big problem. Mild, inefficient razors (like the Aristocrat Junior and Rocket HD) make shaving incredibly fast and easy - but that can come at the expense of efficiency. Efficient razors cut your beard more quickly and with less effort, but they not be as comfortable as you want. For me, the problem with a mild razor is that it can be kind of boring.

That's the reason I like the 6S. I can find the plate that offers the right blend of smoothness or aggressiveness. And none of the plates are insanely aggressive, either.

I don't think mild equals a problem. I grow my beard for 3 days between shaves and the 500 is the most efficient (except for the Toggle) at taking off the growth without irritation. I usually shave with a Toggle on 3 and go wtg and atg for 2 passes.

All faces are different of course and it depends on beard, blade, software and method of course. Some like blade feel, some don't. My ideal is the Toggle, 500, or my Wolfman with a once used Feather blade.

Top Bottom