What's new

Gillette Platinum Silver vs. Gillette Silver Blue

NO. I've tried both. Major difference. Gillette SB are better, the Blue Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum are the best out of any of them though. But personal preferences are different. Order some and you'll be the judge..

Thanks. This was informative. (Re)discovering the art of slicing and dicing my face, I just bought some Gillette Platinums and a batch of 7 O'clock Platinum Blues is alreaady on the way. I'm convinced now have to buy a sample of the Silver Blues to get the big picture.

This was exceptionally useful. I appologize for not finding your post and creating a new one but I did search the terms and it didn't show up for some reason. I'm now curious to order some Silver Blue to try them in a mild razor.

That's okay, I hope to get that info put somewhere a bit more useful along the line.

The Silver Blues are sharp. The issue I have with them is that they give the standard Gillette blade feel on the face, yet they are of Feather sharpness. Can be a recipe for losing a skin layer or two if you are not careful. They need to be treated as Feathers - with the utmost respect.

You may wish to compare a Russian Permasharp Super (carboard boxed, NOT the plastic dispenser!) to a Silver Blue, they are very smooth and getting up there in terms of sharpness, yet are still in production and reasonably available from a number of vendors at about $20/100 before postage. The Silver Blues are end of Production, available from only 2 vendors and very expensive ($39/100 before postage).

The Polsilvers might be worthwhile checking out too, but they are more expensive than the Silver Blues right now.

I'm curious about the sharp blades. Strangely, I felt comfortable with the Feather in a Merkur 34C last week. Trust me, I now how to be careful with the Silver Blue as well. My experience with the wet shaving is a bit strange. I started back in beginning of '80s with my grandfather's Super Adjustable (metal head). He had another Slim Adjustable. My father put it in my hand with no explanation how to use it. He used to use his Fat Boy on 9 all the time! A did too!!! I used it for about 3 years. Then for another 4-5 years I used some junky 3-piece razors which were capable of tearing my face a part. At that time, the only available blades were some white Gillette and old Rubies but not made by Gillette. Their boxes were white with a big red ruby in the middle. Then in the late 80's and beginning of 90's there were some Russian and Mexican BIC and Polsilver blades from Poland (which were junk). Then in the beginning of 90's, I bought 10 year old Super Adjustable with the plastic head which I never used comfortably, abandoned it, tried to used it from time to time but eventually turned to the dark side with the multiblade sistems... until several weeks ago. I just discovered that my Super Adjustable was damaged since the very beginning when I bought it. It didn't align the blade gaps evenly, and even at #1 the gap was way too wide. Apparently that's why I haven't used it succesfully. Now I'm like a kid re-inventing the wheel with all these available blades and razors. So I'am diving into the deep with pleasure. But I feel comfortable with a razor in my hand and am planning on testing as many as I could. I just enjoy it.

The Gillette Platinum with the dark blue border is sharp, reasonably smooth and not very forgiving. Contrary to what Razor Emporium states, it is not the same blade as the Swede. They excel when paired with the right razor.

The Silver Blue is smooth and very forgiving IMO. It's one of the best blades Gillette make and very much like the Swede.

The Gillette Platinums that come in the white cardboard box are indistinguishable from the Swedes but you're better off making a bulk purchase of the Silver Blue or another premium Gillette blade as they are only available in packets of five for exorbitant prices.

Thanks wulfgar1976. I'm expecting some Platinum to arrive to try them. I found Silver Blue really expensive - $38 for 100 or 4.75 for 10 @ Razor Blades & More. Maybe I'll buy 10 to check the difference between them and the other all kinds of Gillette blades in the herd.

Just tried out a Gillette Silver Blue for the first time tonight. I put it in my short comb Gillette New and used an Arko stick; also a first for me. (thanks bestshave.net for the freebie!)

Three passes - WTG, XTG and ATG with some touch-ups. I'm very impressed at the smooth shave it gave, nick free and 100% BBS. The best part is that I have zero razor burn, which is unusual for me because I have a thickly-haired, dense beard combined with super sensitive skin.

It's truly sad these blades are no longer in production. I'm hoping that the 300 St. Petersburg plant-produced Perma-sharps I'm waiting on are at least as good as these.

I believe these blades are still in production. They used to be made in the Czech Republic before production moved to St Petersburg.

Sorry Wulf, these are definitely out of production and there will be no more made. Confirmed multiple times, and we know that ItalianBarber and RB&M have the last of them. They purchased directly from the sole distributor.

You can get 10 of these for $4.75 and 100 for $30 at Razor Blades & More Co. in the U.S. Excellent site with great products. They even sell Gillette Rubie P+ and a curiousity Gillette Super Thin Platinum that are made in Vietnam!

These are my favorite blades, by far. I use them in my R41 Grande for a BBS shave every time. They work equally as well in my vintage Coles slant, too. Thank you, David for the great price!

The Gillette Platinum with the dark blue border is sharp, reasonably smooth and not very forgiving. Contrary to what Razor Emporium states, it is not the same blade as the Swede. They excel when paired with the right razor.

The Silver Blue is smooth and very forgiving IMO. It's one of the best blades Gillette make and very much like the Swede.

The Gillette Platinums that come in the white cardboard box are indistinguishable from the Swedes but you're better off making a bulk purchase of the Silver Blue or another premium Gillette blade as they are only available in packets of five for exorbitant prices.

Funny timing on this post as I just loaded up two different razors with one of each of these just a few days ago. Now that I've gotten a couple shaves out of each, my original feelings about them are confirmed. In general I agree with this. The Platinums are very, nice usable blades, and are often available at a very nice rate when you buy 100. The Silver Blues though are exceptionally sharp and for me smooth as well. In the few shaves I've used them on they've given me a very close shave each time with little to no irritation afterwards. They're out of production, hard to find, and pretty expensive. But anyone who's open to trying to find another blade to love ought to try these.

Since I started this thread and bought 100 of the Platinum Blues, I've used them in variety of razors. I'm convinced that they are the same blade as Astra SS. I know this is a strong statement but they perform absolutely the same in all the razors I've tried them in.

Since I started this thread and bought 100 of the Platinum Blues, I've used them in variety of razors. I'm convinced that they are the same blade as Astra SS. I know this is a strong statement but they perform absolutely the same in all the razors I've tried them in.

They come from the same plant. There's been arguements that all the different blades that come from there are the same blade just different coatings and packaging...

It would surprise me at all to find out that several blades out there coming out of St. Pete are actually the same just in different packaging. If only we could get a spy in the plant to tell us what is really going on in there.

Can someone shed some light on the Gillette Silver Blues? I purchased a 5 pack of the Gillette Silver Blues from AOS and they are by far the best blades I've tried! IMO they are better than feather. So I ordered 100 online and when I got them I realized that the blades say stainless on the blade but the first 5 pack I purchased said platinum on the blade. Same packaging. I looked online to see if they are offered 2 different ways and I can't seem to find anything. I used a stainless today and got a great shave but I'm wondering if the platinum blades are sharper.

I have shaved a few times with a Gillette Silver Blue and the Gillette Platinum. Honestly, at this point I can tell little if any difference. They are both easily in the top 5 DE blades that I have ever used. The big difference is the Platinum costs far more and is not quite as readily available.

Top Bottom