What's new

Blade Wars: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum black vs. 7 O'clock Super Platinum blue

A short sidebar.

Today I brought my family to New York to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.

While there, I went into Saks 5th Avenue, and helped myself to a couple of squirts of Terre D'Hermes cologne. It is a wonderful fragrance. My favorite AS splash that I own is RR Son of Zeus, and one of my favorite soaps is Stirling Arkadia. Both are takes on Terre D'Hermes's scent. Today was the first time I've ever tried the real thing, and I've got to tell you, the two knock-offs I own have the scent down pat. Spot on.

Shave 3

Face lathered with Tabac
red razor=right side, green razor=left side

Both razors gave me two ultra-smooth passes. The red feels slightly sharper, but there is no noticeable difference in the quality of the shave.

Followed with some Florida Water. Another great shave. I love these razors and love these blades.

Shave 4
Face lathered with AOS Lemon cream
green=right, red=left

I'm sorry this sounds like a broken record, but I got another very nice two-pass shave. Both blades were extremely smooth. I got a tiny weeper in the mustache area that I do not blame on the blade. I can't say one blade felt sharper or smoother than the other - they were both great.

A quick splash of Pinaud Citrus Musk and I'm a lemony-smelling guy with a good shave.

ok, black vs. blue, I get that ..... but which blue?? I just bought my first pack of Blues and discovered they were made in Russia, however I saw a photo with what looked like my same Blues except the back and sides were slathered in lots of foreign printing, cut to the chase, I didn't know that the Blue's were also made in Czechoslovakia .... so as I was saying, are we to assume that you meant the Russian Blues in your comparison??

ok, black vs. blue, I get that ..... but which blue?? I just bought my first pack of Blues and discovered they were made in Russia, however I saw a photo with what looked like my same Blues except the back and sides were slathered in lots of foreign printing, cut to the chase, I didn't know that the Blue's were also made in Czechoslovakia .... so as I was saying, are we to assume that you meant the Russian Blues in your comparison??
I am using Russian-made Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinums. The wrapper is dark blue.

I am greatly enjoying these blade wars.

I would love to see you do one between the Gillette Blacks and the Silver Blues, since both are readily available.

I would love to see you do one between the Gillette Blacks and the Silver Blues, since both are readily available.
Great idea. I'll give that a go sometime. Those are two of my all-time favorites.

Shave 5
Face lathered with Maca Root cream and my lovely Stirling badger.
red=right, green=left

OK, these blades are consistent. I did a two-pass shave this morning. Both blades were extremely smooth. I mean, just fantastic. Again, the red feels ever-so-slightly sharper. It feels slightly more "crisp" than the green. I don't see or feel any significant difference in the quality of the shave, though.

Followed with some Old Spice and Lubriderm 3-in-1 Moisturizer, and I am ready to be a man today.

I'd like to see a round robin tournament for Russian blades. It would be an awful lot of work but to see each square off against the other would be pretty sweet. I just might try it myself...

This is likely what's going on right now, albeit under an earlier name than GSB. +1 to enjoying the Blade Wars. When I'm short on time I log on and go straight to the de blade forum to see if a war has been updated. Great stuff!

Shave 5
Face lathered with Maca Root cream and my lovely Stirling badger.
red=right, green=left

OK, these blades are consistent. I did a two-pass shave this morning. Both blades were extremely smooth. I mean, just fantastic. Again, the red feels ever-so-slightly sharper. It feels slightly more "crisp" than the green. I don't see or feel any significant difference in the quality of the shave, though.

Followed with some Old Spice and Lubriderm 3-in-1 Moisturizer, and I am ready to be a man today.

Just keep in mind... NO ties this time! haha... you got boo'd in my house for that last time.... dangit, we want winners & losers. :laugh:

Shave 6

Face lathered with RR Acquatico
green=right side, red=left side.
[MENTION=110175]kluber[/MENTION], you're not going to like this!

Another great two-pass shave today. Both blades were utterly smooth and plenty sharp. I can't say I felt any significance difference in sharpness. I have another terrific, close, irritation-free shave. Both of these blades are absolutely world-class awesome.

Shave 7

Face lathered with Arko
red=right, green=left

Pass 1 - The red is still wonderfully smooth. There is a small amount of resistance that I haven't felt before. The resistance is slight and even. Green doesn't seem to degrade. It has more audio feedback than the red, and while it sounds scratchy, it is also wonderfully smooth.

Pass 2 - Both razors were great. Smooth and clean.

I know I risk an uprising, capped by [MENTION=110175]kluber[/MENTION] taking me behind the gymnasium and giving me a good beating, but at this point, I don't see one of these blades as superior or inferior to the other. They are different, but they are both phenomenal razor blades. The blade war continues....

Pass 2 -

Top Bottom