What's new

Gillette Old Type restore before /after

thumbnail_20170214_174442.jpg
thumbnail_20170214_201800.jpg
Picked up an old type today that was a mess, but she came out prety nice.

Well, I picked it up at a local antique store for 12.00 bucks. I saw the condition and thought, something to do, even though I already have a thin cap Old, and a thick cap. I did the usual soak, then steel wooled everything. I used my rotary tool with buffing felts and Mothers mag polish. Then finished it up with silver polish. And yes I did shave with it, and had an awesome shave with no irritation with a Feather. I think the Olds shave great. I think they are pleasing to the eye also. Thanks everyone for the comments.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Not that it doesn't look better, but calling it a restoration is beyond me. Restoring an antique is not stripping it down to bare material ... furniture, jewelry, and razors. To restore is making it look like factory new again, sympathetically, not a customization.

The judges at Pebble Beach would not even let you near the lawn if you stripped the red paint off a '65 Ferrari 250 LM.
This is my opinion from my conservator's point of view, not meant to offend.

Ferrari-250-LM-60482.jpg

Not that it doesn't look better, but calling it a restoration is beyond me. Restoring an antique is not stripping it down to bare material ... furniture, jewelry, and razors. To restore is making it look like factory new again, sympathetically, not a customization.

The judges at Pebble Beach would not even let you near the lawn if you stripped the red paint off a '65 Ferrari 250 LM.
This is my opinion from my conservator's point of view, not meant to offend.

View attachment 761927
Wow.....

Top Bottom