What's new

Gillette NEW nothing else

I was able to buy several Gillette NEWs include standard LC, SC and also sets such as Bostonian, Federal and Windsor. They still have great condition even after 90 years.

Most important: They are great shavers, holding the blade very rigidly and shaving as I like quite efficient (almost aggressive).

I also have about 30 other razors, mostly Gillette vintage (fatboy, slim, flare tip, red tip, red tip rocket, super speed, black beauty, tech, black handle flare tip, R41, ...). Right now I'm thinking about selling everything except the NEWs.

What is your experience? Would I regret this? Did anyone here kept just the NEW and sold every other razor? I have the feeling that my journal is now ending :)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Not specifically New but one often sees long time collectors having a 'den clear out'. Perhaps they collect razors while finding out and deciding what they prefer and then once decided they sell the rest. Others, like myself prefer a variety of razors to keep the hobby interesting. So, I would be more inclined to sell a razor if it were too similar to another I owned. YMMV.

I like variety and so I probably wouldn't sell everything else I have. Plus, faces change. Beards can change. Skin changes. And that can have an impact on what razor works best at any given time. I'm a fan of the New Deluxe. I find it to give me the best combination of efficient and smooth of all of my 30+ razors. I'll probably get around to selling some duplicates that I don't use and never will use but I like knowing that if my mood strikes me, I can pull out a razor I haven't used in years and give it a go again.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What is your experience? Would I regret this? Did anyone here kept just the NEW and sold every other razor? I have the feeling that my journal is now ending

This was my experience with a NEW LC.

Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gillette-new-lc-not-cutting-it.520246/

I went from it to a NEW SC and had my eyes opened. Then I sent my nephew that NEW LC and he sent me a 1916 Gillette Single Ring. That opened my eyes again, but in the end I went back to my Fatip Grande. Its the King of my DE's.

That said, I still have my NEW SC and my Old Types but rarely use them anymore.

Others, like myself prefer a variety of razors to keep the hobby interesting.

In fact I also like to watch at my vintage razors and try to image what they have seen in all the decades. Collection is also a hobby for me (I think). Just to get a new razor in a nice condition makes me happy.

Plus, faces change. Beards can change. Skin changes.

Therefore I started with adjustables but realized that I miss the simplicity. I like simple things. But as you have written I'm also concerned if a NEW will be the best choice in future...

That opened my eyes again

To be honest I still have razors in my collection such the old type which I have not used yet :)

To be honest I still have razors in my collection such the old type which I have not used yet :)

Why would you buy a razor and not use it? I've bought over 30 razors in less than 4 years and I've used them all. I needed to satisfy my curiosity as to whether I was using the best razor for my face. At least among the razors that I have, I know that I am.

A straight Old Type with a fresh Feather blade is a joy, but some learning is required lol.

I will try tomorrow morning, I have feather blades here 😀

Why would you buy a razor and not use it? I've bought over 30 razors in less than 4 years and I've used them all. I needed to satisfy my curiosity as to whether I was using the best razor for my face. At least among the razors that I have, I know that I am.

I bought three lots just because I like to style of vintage razors. Due to my bad shaving technique I bought many razors to find the one working for me till I realized that my technique was the reason for my razor burn... Then I kept those with the best condition and sold the rest.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I will try tomorrow morning, I have feather blades here

My made in Canada Old Type is a very mild razor, used properly.

Canadian.jpg

It has negative blade exposure but because it is such a highly rigid design, when paired with a fresh Feather blade, if you do everything just right its perfection. If you mess up even a little, you'll be bleeding and not even know why. Its my most unforgiving razor of weak technique of all my razors, DE and SE.

If you mess up even a little, you'll be bleeding and not even know why. Its my most unforgiving razor of weak technique of all my razors, DE and SE.

Tomorrow morning I will have a bit more time. So I will give my old type a try. It must be one from 1917! At least the serial number indicates this year.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Nice!

Just make sure the neck of the handle is secure. The head of my NEW LC fell right out of the neck shaving under my chin once and fell in the sink lol.
Happens to me once in a while. I just figure it's one of it's charms.

I would not cry if I could never use any other razor. Shaves are phenomenal.

I have been collecting razors for around 30 years. I have many duplicates but all are different years. That said, I definitely like using a vintage Gillette. I like them all. I have given a few away to family and friends but as long as I can still shave, I will not consider a den clearing. In fact, I am still collecting more. As for the News, they are fine razors to be sure. I prefer the LC News. I also really like the Goodwill razors.

I got a NEW SC replated in nickel and it’s a wonderful little razor. Provides an incredibly smooth and surprisingly efficient shave. That said, I enjoy variety and love my rotation of modern beauties, so I would never make the NEW my only razor. However, if I was forced to pick a vintage Gillette as my one and only, that would probably be the one.

Top Bottom