What's new

Gillette "new" long vs short vs whatever?

Ok, so I'm wanting to try an open comb DE, and I've been reading up on the ""new"" vintage heads, I'm having trouble finding what exactly the difference is between a long comb vs short comb in terms of how they perform, some say one is more aggressive and vice versa...others say it doesn't matter too much long vs short...

I'm not too concerned about sheer aggressiveness, as I can kindof adjust that with what blade is used, etc. but for those with experience on both (or either) I'd be interested In hearing your thoughts.

any thoughts on how a ""new"" would compare to something like an ikon OC DLC head?

sorry if this is something that has been covered before, with a name like "new" and being 80-90 years old makes searching less fruitful...:lol:

You need to try them all ... They're all excellent.
Differences between models are subtle but they do exist.

And there's many more besides the LC and SC ... Just saying' ... It's addictive though, you've been warned.

I have both, and I think the handle makes more difference than the length of the combs.

My long-comb came with a ball-end handle, and the short-comb came with the bar handle. The balance is different between the two, with the bar handle being somewhat heavier and to me that makes the shave feel somewhat less aggressive.

Swapping the handles makes the shaves pretty much the same.

I have both, and I think the handle makes more difference than the length of the combs.

My long-comb came with a ball-end handle, and the short-comb came with the bar handle. The balance is different between the two, with the bar handle being somewhat heavier and to me that makes the shave feel somewhat less aggressive.

Swapping the handles makes the shaves pretty much the same.

that makes some good sense. I've also got an Ikon bulldog handle I could try (is the vintage theading the same, I'm guessing its somewhat of a universal thing maybe?). I like a heavy handle personally on other razors I've had.

also, when looking through vintage OC Gillettes that are not openly identified, is there a specific way to identify a 'new' vs other OC models?

also, when looking through vintage OC Gillettes that are not openly identified, is there a specific way to identify a 'new' vs other OC models?

If you are looking on eBay, most of them I see are typically US-made NEW LC and SC. You can identify a US LC by the diamond Gillette logo being offset to the left of the handle, while a SC has the logo in the center above/below the handle. At least, that is the general rule I've been following.

This long thread includes pics of all kinds of various US and English NEW razors, and Post #43 gives nice pics of various heads and handles. From reading the thread, it seems like there is a fair amount of YMMV kind of thing going on with the various types of NEWs, but lots of people generally find at least one that really like!

I've tried both the US LC and SC, and in my short experience (a total of 3 SC shaves and 2 LC shaves), I like the LC slightly more. It just seems smoother to me.

I find the LC a bit smoother than the SC. The Ikon is more like the SC to me but perhaps a hair closer shaving. In the big picture you can throw a hat over the group. I dont think you can change aggressiveness by the blade selection as you suggest.

If you are looking on eBay, most of them I see are typically US-made NEW LC and SC. You can identify a US LC by the diamond Gillette logo being offset to the left of the handle, while a SC has the logo in the center above/below the handle. At least, that is the general rule I've been following.

This long thread includes pics of all kinds of various US and English NEW razors, and Post #43 gives nice pics of various heads and handles. From reading the thread, it seems like there is a fair amount of YMMV kind of thing going on with the various types of NEWs, but lots of people generally find at least one that really like!

I've tried both the US LC and SC, and in my short experience (a total of 3 SC shaves and 2 LC shaves), I like the LC slightly more. It just seems smoother to me.

Excellent, thanks for the link I've got some reading to do. looks like I might have to get both the LC and SC and see...:001_rolle heh

Depends on how you define aggressiveness. I can definitely change the comfort level of a shave with my NEW by using different blades.

+1 this is exactly what I was referring to. perhaps 'aggressiveness' wasn't an accurate term. I know the actual blade positioning and engineering of the razor isn't changed with the blade in use, but comfort level can be. I'm new to the online DE communities so I'm still familiarizing myself with the vernacular.

well, passing though e-bay I happened to make a bid on one and snagged it for $22. looks pretty good to me. it appears (to me at least) to be a US short comb NEW with a common bar handle. the pictures of it aren't great but it looks to be in great condition, for $22 its not much of a risk.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GILETTE-SAFETY-RAZOR-OPEN-COMB-VINTAGE-GOLD-USED-/111485593388?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=q3ifzTz%252FWBgbhWAZdAVmMFvZiGc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The LC NEW is my favorite of the Gillette line; however, I haven't had the opportunity to try a SC NEW, so I cannot compare. The NEW is certainly worth picking up and is my second favorite DE behind the Segal Unitary. Hope you like your new NEW!!

Top Bottom