What's new

Gillette New Long Comb: I am truly shocked

OK, I will confess: I have been kinda mean and dismissive towards "milder" razors. I've only been DE shaving less than 2 years now and have not used very many, only one of which I would consider mild after today's experience. I also never "rotated" razors, each one replaced the one before it, so I was pretty comfortable with each razor.

VDH TTO: way too mild, used it for 2 months (total newb at this point)
Maggard V3: much better but rougher, always felt it around the mouth too much and had to keep going over the same areas, used for 5 months
Maggard V3A: better than V3 but still felt dangerous, used for 6 months
RR GC JAWS 84: the best of them all, yet way rougher with WAY more blade feel, which I came to tolerate and accepted as a necessary evil in order to knock down my tough chin stubble, used for the last 8 months straight

Back in April 2020, I bought a Gillette New Long Comb from fellow B&B member @NoScrubs. When it first arrived, I loaded a blade admiring its deathly accurate blade placement no matter how sloppy I would load the blade trying to misalign it, then ran my finger across it to test for exposure and thought "no way, this thing is way too mild". I put it in my drawer and was glad to have gotten a historical piece of shaving gear for a great price, so it was all good. I've done lots of dumb things in my life, not trying this razor right away was one of 'em.

Then a few days ago I started thinking about what many B&B'ers have been saying "mild razor/sharp blade" after having had a few less-than stellar shaves over my chin area which is almost always a pain in some way. I planned to give the New a try since I knew I didn't have to worry about blade alignment and it has a nice narrow maneuverable head for around my nose, like the JAWS. Examining the razor, the first thing I noticed was that the blade is secured at a shallower angle and more perpendicular to the handle, compared to the JAWS. I knew I was going to have to adjust my shave angle, and was ready. I loaded a fresh Gillette Silver Blue, face-lathered Tabac from a shave stick to perfection with my trusty Maggard Timberwolf synthetic, and ran.

Right off the bat, this razor was 90% more comfortable than the JAWS, so I thought "there's no way it's cutting". Then I'd run my finger across the area I just shaved.....and it was smooth, smoother than my first swipe with the JAWS. Um, WHAT? So I keep going and do everywhere else except the upper lip and chin as usual, and aside from missing a few tough spots on my neck due to the wrong angle, this is the smoothest most efficient shave I've had to date, without question. Then I do the upper lip, super smooth again and LESS tugging than with the JAWS(!). I am truly baffled as to how this is even possible at this point. Then the chin, the dreaded chin, smooth and not irritated in the slightest with almost no blade feel. I rinsed, completely baffled as to how my face was a DFS after one pass with a razor than didn't feel dangerous in the slightest. Did the second pass, which has NEVER been comfortable on my upper lip and chin, of which I had just accepted as "what it is" from what I thought was sensitive skin/coarse hair, or whatever, and I was done, smooth and irritation free.

Maybe someone can explain how this is possible. No huge blade gap, no crazy blade exposure, yet super efficient and comfortable. I am truly shocked, and delighted at the same time. One for the books to be sure!

IMG_0327.jpeg

Gillette used to know what they were doing. There was a good reason why they dominated the shaving market for so many decades.

I just used my NEW Short Comb twice this week, testing to see if a shim would make any difference in the shave result (it really didn't), and enjoyed the shave both times.

I tried the Gillette NEW LC for a week. I've had great shaves but it didn't feel smooth as my GC84. I'm guessing that the 84JAWS is a different beast of itself.

However, the Gillette NEW SC feels almost as smooth as GC84. Not sure why but maybe there's a slight change in the angle or exposure that makes it smoother. Regardless, I think vintage razors are great starters and keeper in the den, and every shaver should have at least one... or couple or a collection, haha.

Gillette used to know what they were doing. There was a good reason why they dominated the shaving market for so many decades.

I just used my NEW Short Comb twice this week, testing to see if a shim would make any difference in the shave result (it really didn't), and enjoyed the shave both times.

Ain't that the truth. This razor was made before my dad was born. So much for "progress". Crazy!

I tried the Gillette NEW LC for a week. I've had great shaves but it didn't feel smooth as my GC84. I'm guessing that the 84JAWS is a different beast of itself.

However, the Gillette NEW SC feels almost as smooth as GC84. Not sure why but maybe there's a slight change in the angle or exposure that makes it smoother. Regardless, I think vintage razors are great starters and keeper in the den, and every shaver should have at least one... or couple or a collection, haha.

That's good to know. I wanted the SB GC 84 but it was never in stock so bought the JAWS, mainly for that reason. The teeth on the JAWS are more ticklish and pointy than the Gillette for sure. I bet the SB GC is very smooth, just from the bar alone, assuming it has less blade sticking out as well.

The effectiveness of a razor on an unshaven face is somewhat mysterious. It's a complicated combination of blade gap, angle of the razor's head, amount of blade exposure, the brand of the blade itself, pre-shave prep, whisker hydration, and far from least, one's technique, based on skill and experience.

It's somewhat mysterious, like trying to explain how a bird can fly with little apparent effort into a strong headwind.

I bought a NEW LC a couple of months back. Terrific razor and (obviously) a classic. You should try the GC .68 OC which has a similar feel to me and is made from stainless if that is important to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you get a chance to try a razor, you should take it. :)

When you get a securely held blade at the right angle, height, and pressure against your face, the blade will cut. Doesn't matter if someone called it mild or wild.

The New LC is the DE that I decided to keep out of a couple of hands full of other razors.

I've got a variety of open combs, from Old Type, to New SC & LC's, a Sheraton and even a couple of modern zamack wunders I put open comb bottom plates on. All are favorites in my razor rotation, although the 'modern' razors more often fail to capture the feel and the spirit of a vintage open comb.

OK, I will confess: I have been kinda mean and dismissive towards "milder" razors. I've only been DE shaving less than 2 years now and have not used very many, only one of which I would consider mild after today's experience. I also never "rotated" razors, each one replaced the one before it, so I was pretty comfortable with each razor.

VDH TTO: way too mild, used it for 2 months (total newb at this point)
Maggard V3: much better but rougher, always felt it around the mouth too much and had to keep going over the same areas, used for 5 months
Maggard V3A: better than V3 but still felt dangerous, used for 6 months
RR GC JAWS 84: the best of them all, yet way rougher with WAY more blade feel, which I came to tolerate and accepted as a necessary evil in order to knock down my tough chin stubble, used for the last 8 months straight

Back in April 2020, I bought a Gillette New Long Comb from fellow B&B member @NoScrubs. When it first arrived, I loaded a blade admiring its deathly accurate blade placement no matter how sloppy I would load the blade trying to misalign it, then ran my finger across it to test for exposure and thought "no way, this thing is way too mild". I put it in my drawer and was glad to have gotten a historical piece of shaving gear for a great price, so it was all good. I've done lots of dumb things in my life, not trying this razor right away was one of 'em.

Then a few days ago I started thinking about what many B&B'ers have been saying "mild razor/sharp blade" after having had a few less-than stellar shaves over my chin area which is almost always a pain in some way. I planned to give the New a try since I knew I didn't have to worry about blade alignment and it has a nice narrow maneuverable head for around my nose, like the JAWS. Examining the razor, the first thing I noticed was that the blade is secured at a shallower angle and more perpendicular to the handle, compared to the JAWS. I knew I was going to have to adjust my shave angle, and was ready. I loaded a fresh Gillette Silver Blue, face-lathered Tabac from a shave stick to perfection with my trusty Maggard Timberwolf synthetic, and ran.

Right off the bat, this razor was 90% more comfortable than the JAWS, so I thought "there's no way it's cutting". Then I'd run my finger across the area I just shaved.....and it was smooth, smoother than my first swipe with the JAWS. Um, WHAT? So I keep going and do everywhere else except the upper lip and chin as usual, and aside from missing a few tough spots on my neck due to the wrong angle, this is the smoothest most efficient shave I've had to date, without question. Then I do the upper lip, super smooth again and LESS tugging than with the JAWS(!). I am truly baffled as to how this is even possible at this point. Then the chin, the dreaded chin, smooth and not irritated in the slightest with almost no blade feel. I rinsed, completely baffled as to how my face was a DFS after one pass with a razor than didn't feel dangerous in the slightest. Did the second pass, which has NEVER been comfortable on my upper lip and chin, of which I had just accepted as "what it is" from what I thought was sensitive skin/coarse hair, or whatever, and I was done, smooth and irritation free.

Maybe someone can explain how this is possible. No huge blade gap, no crazy blade exposure, yet super efficient and comfortable. I am truly shocked, and delighted at the same time. One for the books to be sure!

View attachment 1150224
Glad you finally tried it and enjoyed it! The NEW LC is great razor and Gillette made some wonderful razors that are tough to beat even with today's technology.

I bought a NEW LC a couple of months back. Terrific razor and (obviously) a classic. You should try the GC .68 OC which has a similar feel to me and is made from stainless if that is important to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an 84 JAWS, and compared to this New Long Comb, it feels like a torture device. Have you tried the 84 JAWS? I love the build quality and feel of the RR SS razors but I definitely need it smoother.

Top Bottom