What's new

Gillette Brazilian Monotech. Y-1, 1953.

I have had this for years and shaved with it today. I recall something looked odd about the knurling back then and it caught my eye. Sort of a mix between vanilla Super Speed and a Flare Tip, minus the vertical grooves. It didn't draw much attention on the auction site. Not sure how rare it is but I haven't seen another one. Smooth action and comfortable result. This one is marked Y-1, 1953, from Brazil.
100_5698.JPG

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Interesting razor, I've been wanting to score one to fill in a missing position in my Gillette TTO collection. Tough to find, I missed that one. :facep:

I always wondered where the intended market was, only South America?

Interesting razor, I've been wanting to score one to fill in a missing position in my Gillette TTO collection. Tough to find, I missed that one. :facep:

I always wondered where the intended market was, only South America?
It appears they were intended for the South American market and were made in Brazil?
IMG_2192.jpg

Notice the ghost light Gillette diamond stamp upper right?

Love the handle. It’s difficult to find vintage razors in Brazil. On the equivalent brazilian eBay the prices are expensive (around U$ 35-50) and not in good conditions. And I never saw vintage razors in a local flea market. But I never try hard to find a vintage razor here ;)

Top Bottom