What's new

Newbie how to tell a Slim from a Fatboy Guide ( and other things )

Great post. This information will always be timely and it's good to have it revived for those of us who didn't catch it on an earlier go-around.

I have a Slim already and a Fat Boy on the way. Thanks to this thread I was able to tell the difference. I've noticed lots of things on eBay listed as Fat Boys that aren't, I guess because Fat Boy seems to be the big buzz word lately.

Look for that ring around the middle! Easiest way to spot the difference!! Just picked up my 3rd and 4th Fat Boy for no reason at all other than it was a good deal. :001_tongu

Thanks so much. I was on the search to determine what I had, except for the case it was in. My dad bought it in '67 for about 2 bucks and had the razor ever since. I am 36, and I feel like he was when he bought it at 16 years old. I am still learning what I got and how to use it. Thanks. BTW, it is a Slim.

Thanks for the great info. I list razors on E-Bay and I don't ever want to sell one as something it is not! I use this sight to help me with indentifacation and it has been a wealth of info! I am starting to get a whole new apreciation for these great old razors as well! Thanks again!

Thanks for this useful info. In fact I Just sent of a message to an ebay seller, asking about his Slim that he has for sale as a Fat Boy in a Slim case, asking if this was an error or not. Just curious as to what response if any he gives. He already has a couple of bidders. I just hope they know that it is a slim they are bidding on.

Thanks for this useful info. In fact I Just sent of a message to an ebay seller, asking about his Slim that he has for sale as a Fat Boy in a Slim case, asking if this was an error or not. Just curious as to what response if any he gives. He already has a couple of bidders. I just hope they know that it is a slim they are bidding on.
To give this seller credit, he responded saying he was not familiar with the razor and that he could very well be wrong. He added ??? After his item description of fat boy and posted my question/statement saying it was a Gillette slim. I also looked at his other items for sale, no razors. I would guess, giving the benefit of the doubt that this may have been an honest mistake (although CYA, may also have been the reason, protecting ones positive ratings).

what a helpful post this is. I just found what I thought was a fatboy, never dreaming how similiar these were. Also It was nice to understand what the G-1 identifier was from. Thanks for the excellent post.

I thought I'd bump this thread because I'm a new newbie and it's been a very informative read.

I already have a Fat Boy, but it's away for replating at the moment.

I'm keen to pick up a slim, but don't really know how much I should be paying.

There are a few on eBay for around $65 at the moment. Is that about right?

Egad. After reading this, I have discovered that I too am a proud owner of an "EBAY Fat Boy". I guess I should accept the lesson learned and start looking for a real Fatboy. It's not like there is a shortage of them in thrift shops.

Now I'm forewarned and forearmed, ready to do some wheeling and dealing on eBay. Thanks for a very informative post!

Top Bottom