What's new

Newbie how to tell a Slim from a Fatboy Guide ( and other things )

I was looking at the blade gap wiki ( http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness ) and it lists a 'Gillette Adjustable' at various settings. Does anybody know if this refers to only the Fatboy or does it refer to both the Fatboy and the Slim? I'm pretty new to this, but from what I could tell on the wiki page in the safety razor databade on old Gillettes, 'Fatboy' is more of a nickname for the Adjustable. Thus, I'm wondering if in the wiki on blade gaps, when it says 'Gillette Adjustable,' what exactly is this referring to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

........ and it lists a 'Gillette Adjustable' at various settings. Does anybody know if this refers to only the Fatboy or does it refer to both the Fatboy and the Slim? I'm pretty new to this, but from what I could tell on the wiki page in the safety razor databade on old Gillettes, 'Fatboy' is more of a nickname for the Adjustable. Thus, I'm wondering if in the wiki on blade gaps, when it says 'Gillette Adjustable,' what exactly is this referring to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Brian,
I'm not sure what the intent was when writing the WIKI but it has been my experience that the Gillette Adjustable refers to all the adjustables except the Super, which to me is a click less aggressive and is noted in the chart. While Fatboy is a nickname it should pertain to a specific razor only. It's unfortunate that so many sellers on ebay use the name "Fatboy" for almost any Gillette razor, adjustable or not. I've seen it used to describe Tech's and Old Type open comb's as well.

Len

As all the others said, thanks for this helpful work. As one of the "newer noobs" I was having a devil of a time deciding whether the adjustable I picked up today was a Fatboy or a Slim. I now know it was a Fatboy, having side by side pictures made it easy.
-Mike

Well crafted, informative post.:thumbup1:

I was watching an auction for a Gillette slim in "original case." After reading this post I went back and saw it was a Slim but in a Fatboy case. :huh:

Vintage Gillettes in anywhere near decent condition have recently been selling for a king's ransom on 'da bay.

Very helpful indeed - esp for a newbie like me.:thumbup1:

Picked up one of each on ebay for great price.

Thanks for the pics!

Thank you. I was wanting to buy a fatboy, but since I don't know how to tell them apart from pictures, I didn't want to get ripped off.

Excellent info here! Gave me a perfect crash course for my first adjustable and helped me to ID the year of my Slim! Thanks

Since Fatboys seem to be on the rise again, I'm gonna self bump this as it may assist some of the newbies out there considering a FB. :001_smile

Top Bottom