What's new

Gillette Blue Extra

Are Gillette Blue Extra blades in current prodiction?

I ordered a lot of 100 (10 pack of 10 boxed) from an eBay vendor in London, got them today, and noticed that the blades are date coded V3, which I would suggest that they were manufactured in 3rd quarter of the year 2000.

That's almost a decade ago?!

Any thoughts???????

Last edited:
If your eBay vendor is "rareup31" then that's my source of Gillette Bleue Extra as well. I find them very sharp and an excellent shave; probably my favourite blade. If you don't like them I'll happily buy them off you.

Question to all Bleue owners...

Are yours in the cardboard box or plastic dispenser? I've heard the latter are the better blades and from older (perhaps ended) production. I have some on the way. I sampled the cardboard box variety and they were so-so IMO.

Question to all Bleue owners...

Are yours in the cardboard box or plastic dispenser? I've heard the latter are the better blades and from older (perhaps ended) production. I have some on the way. I sampled the cardboard box variety and they were so-so IMO.
Plastic dispenser for me. I must admit these blades "wowed" me when I used them and I stocked up as a result.

If your eBay vendor is "rareup31" then that's my source of Gillette Bleue Extra as well. I find them very sharp and an excellent shave; probably my favourite blade. If you don't like them I'll happily buy them off you.

Yes, she is my source, I do like them, just trying to find out a bit more about their origins, etc.

Are yours V3 marked too???

Last edited:
Yes, she is my source, I do like them, just trying to find out a bit more about their origins, etc.

Are yours V3 marked too???
Yes, they are identical to yours. It seems whoever is making the Gillette Bleue Extra blades today has lost some of the know-how as they are not as good as the ones we have.

Last edited:
Yes, they are identical to yours. It seems whoever is making the Gillette Bleue Extra blades today has lost some of the know-how as they are not as good as the ones we have.

The ones that were made in France were clearly marked on the back of the cardboard holder. I have seen some that are marked made in Russia, which I can only assume is the most current production assuming these are still being made.

The ones I have are not marked as made in "anywhere", but we know they were made in 2000, the same year the Russian plant was opened (June 2000). I hazard a guess in saying that these V3's were the first Russian made, prior to changing the package markings to what is more commonly seen today.

Since you like these so much, how many shaves per blade do you get?

The ones that were made in France were clearly marked on the back of the cardboard holder. I have seen some that are marked made in Russia, which I can only assume is the most current production assuming these are still being made.

The ones I have are not marked as made in "anywhere", but we know they were made in 2000, the same year the Russian plant was opened (June 2000). I hazard a guess in saying that these V3's were the first Russian made, prior to changing the package markings to what is more commonly seen today.

Since you like these so much, how many shaves per blade do you get?
I only use these blades for 3 days, which is the same as other blades. I'm certain that I could push 4 or 5 shaves from them because they held up well on day 3, with no appreciable loss of capability.

Last edited:
One of my favorite blades, very similar to the Russian yellows, but without the :cursing::cursing::cursing::scared::cursing: glue...

I do believe they are made today, if you visit Belgium or France, you'll find them everywhere, maybe other countries as well, but these two I've visited the last couple of months & in both countries Bleues are to be easily found.
Always plastic dispenser.

One of my favorite blades, very similar to the Russian yellows, but without the :cursing::cursing::cursing::scared::cursing: glue...

I do believe they are made today, if you visit Belgium or France, you'll find them everywhere, maybe other countries as well, but these two I've visited the last couple of months & in both countries Bleues are to be easily found.
Always plastic dispenser.

Thanks for the info.....
If you have any that were purchased in retail, is their country of origin marked? and do they have a date code on each blade??

Thanks

I think they are still made as you can find them in every supermarket here.
but I thought they were made in Russia not in China.

Thanks for the info.....
If you have any that were purchased in retail, is their country of origin marked? and do they have a date code on each blade??

Thanks

I just had a look at it.
I have them in cardboard box (not plastic dispenser) and I confirm they are made in Russia (St Petersburg).

I don't see any date code on the blade itself. there are several codes on the paper wrapper : D11141 and 98579867, don't know what this means :confused1

I just had a look at it.
I have them in cardboard box (not plastic dispenser) and I confirm they are made in Russia (St Petersburg).

I don't see any date code on the blade itself. there are several codes on the paper wrapper : D11141 and 98579867, don't know what this means :confused1

Interesting. It seems Gillette no longer marks any date code on their current stock. Maybe the V3's are still French?! I don't think we'll ever know :confused1

I just had a look at it.

Here is a page that give some details as to their manufacture. Unfortunately, it doesn't shed too much light on our version of this blade.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Derby_Extra#Bleue_extra

Last edited:
I have the same ones in the plastic container and find them an excellent blade at very reasonable price from this ebay vendor, and in England the shipping is very quick, the quickest I've had is one day :w00t:.

Another data point...placard of the pack of Bleues I have (cardboard box), just like the one shown in the wiki. I'll check date code and packaging of my stock which is in transit (plastic dispenser) once I receive them.

Another data point...placard of the pack of Bleues I have (cardboard box), just like the one shown in the wiki. I'll check date code and packaging of my stock which is in transit (plastic dispenser) once I receive them.

Hmmm...thanks!
This looks like current stock, as opposed to the 1st pic in this thread. I would assume you won't be finding any date code on these new blades.

Hmmm...thanks!
This looks like current stock, as opposed to the 1st pic in this thread. I would assume you won't be finding any date code on these new blades.

That's right. There are no date codes on the blades I have from the placard pictured and its cardboard box. I think it's fairly well established the plastic dispensers are older, discontinued stock and were apparently date coded. And the phase out of plastic dispensers would appear to be true of most (if not all) DE blades. I would expect the blades I'm due to receive will have date codes. If not, well...

Top Bottom