What's new

Gillette Ball End Tech - How Old?

Hey fellas,

I recently purchased this ball end tech from my local antique dealer for a couple of dollars and was wondering if anyone could shed some light as to how old it could roughly be as there are no date codes underneath.

Appreciate any input cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20240421_195337.jpg
    IMG_20240421_195337.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20240421_195355.jpg
    IMG_20240421_195355.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20240421_195437.jpg
    IMG_20240421_195437.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20240421_195456.jpg
    IMG_20240421_195456.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
Thanks for that. I had the option on purchasing 2 other variants that were in better condition, however, felt lightweight. This one seemed to fit the bill.

Looks very similar to my first DE razor, inherited from my grandfather.

1000022600.jpg

I never got an exact date of manufacture, but I've gone with the range @ivan_101 provided. Obviously, mine is a different color, but otherwise quite similar. Hope you enjoy yours!

View attachment 1834586

I never got an exact date of manufacture, but I've gone with the range @ivan_101 provided. Obviously, mine is a different color, but otherwise quite similar. Hope you enjoy yours!
Since it is gold I believe yours is US made and not English like the one in the origianl post. If it doesn't have a datecode, it can be as early as the last quarter or 1946 and as late as 1950.

View attachment 1834586

Nice! Looks even better in gold.. just used mine now and shaves great.. I can see why these techs get a lot of attention!

Thanks for that. I had the option on purchasing 2 other variants that were in better condition, however, felt lightweight. This one seemed to fit the bill.
If he had one English tech chances are the others may have been as well if they felt feather weight. Some of the later versions looked similar but had an aluminum baseplate and top cap. My preference is towards the heavier version.

Personally it’s just a tad too mild for me (certain areas it pulls just a little against the grain of my stiff hair) and the American version that looks exactly the same is just a tad more aggressive in just the right way.

The aluminum ones just seem finicky for me.

If he had one English tech chances are the others may have been as well if they felt feather weight. Some of the later versions looked similar but had an aluminum baseplate and top cap. My preference is towards the heavier version.

Personally it’s just a tad too mild for me (certain areas it pulls just a little against the grain of my stiff hair) and the American version that looks exactly the same is just a tad more aggressive in just the right way.

The aluminum ones just seem finicky for me.
Interesting! I've used one with an aluminium handle before and in my experience was terrible.. I recall having to apply a bit of pressure just to get the thing to work.. never again stainless.. brass all the way for me.

Top Bottom