What's new

Gillette 1930's long comb project

I bought a 1930's Gillette at a flea market for $8 and the finish was in pretty rough condition. Not knowing anything about these razors, I took it home and cleaned it with barkeepers friend only to strip the finish off the head and comb. I was devastated at the mistake but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that I might be able to redeem myself. I bought a new handle, stripped off the remaining coating on the comb (down to brass) and polished the copper on the head. It's not perfect but I like the final result and it is my daily shaver. I love this razor!
4A8034F6-D8A7-4C39-9A70-5B67D60D6335.jpeg
CEBEC560-7DCE-4A92-B53C-EE0559DEE85B_1_201_a.jpeg
A04637FF-038A-41EC-8662-BE48A0144E1F_1_201_a.jpeg

I almost bought another NEW with like new finish on it the other day but the price went too high

However, while I love a brand new looking shiny razor from back in the day my favorite razor in my stash is a NEW SC which is stripped like yours. There’s a beauty to it as well.

Others disagree but it’s your razor!

I bought a 1930's Gillette at a flea market for $8 and the finish was in pretty rough condition. Not knowing anything about these razors, I took it home and cleaned it with barkeepers friend only to strip the finish off the head and comb. I was devastated at the mistake but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that I might be able to redeem myself. I bought a new handle, stripped off the remaining coating on the comb (down to brass) and polished the copper on the head. It's not perfect but I like the final result and it is my daily shaver. I love this razor!
View attachment 1111008View attachment 1111009View attachment 1111010
Wow. Looks great! I have a LC and a SC on its way so I'd like to polish it up the same. Any tips or know-hows in cleaning/polishing up this beautiful razor?

Wow. Looks great! I have a LC and a SC on its way so I'd like to polish it up the same. Any tips or know-hows in cleaning/polishing up this beautiful razor?

Thanks! If you want to remove the current coating, scrub it down with bar keepers friend. I made a paste and scrubbed with a toothbrush and also my finger. Polishing can be easy with the right stuff. I start with 1000 grit, then 2000 and finally use something like flitz to finish. Go slow so you don’t take too much metal off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! If you want to remove the current coating, scrub it down with bar keepers friend. I made a paste and scrubbed with a toothbrush and also my finger. Polishing can be easy with the right stuff. I start with 1000 grit, then 2000 and finally use something like flitz to finish. Go slow so you don’t take too much metal off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do have one that has plating off and other that still has decent plating. I'll try it with the other one off first and see how it goes.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
BKF makes for a very pretty red brass razor!

Better no gold wash than patchy. Yes, you'll be polishing it; try MAAS polish if you don't already have a favorite.

AA

Hi,

When I read the title, I thought you were going to cut all the teeth off and make a DE Shavette like several I have seen. :p

I have a couple NEWs stripped, and an Old Type. I leave them alone. I rather like the oxidized look. I usually leave my silver plated New Improved tarnished, too. But, once in a while I do clean it up. My gold plated 34 Aristocrat looks good except for the TTO doors where the plating is pretty much gone.

These form the Open Comb 7-day Set. They are arranged oldest to newest, left to right. And, in this pic, the Crat looks good as you can't see the doors!

Stan

Here is a good way to save time on copper and brass:
Get a pan and put 2 cups of water, 1 cup of white vinegar and 2 TBSP salt.
Turn on heat and stir to dissolve salt.
Put in razor parts. You should see an immediate result .
If it is really grungy, bring to a boil.
Use tongs to take out parts. Place on a kitchen towel to cool off.
Rinse under warm water and scrub with a rag or sponge.
For shine, polish minimally with flitz or mass. Minimally because the patina is gone. You are just going for shine.
Super easy.
I did this to a similar razor and a copper CG.
Looks like new.
Those NEW razors will develop a patina very rapidly. Best to plate or invest in polishing rags. 😃😃
Razorplate's rose gold is a close approximation . Not too pink

Last edited:
Top Bottom