What's new

Getting shave ready

Hi all

I’m very new to the hobby (this is about week 2) and I’ve made a bit of a drunken extravagant purchase of a Darwin safety razor. I am looking forward to getting it however it’s sold as needing a sharpen, in the set comes an auto stropper but I think it will probably need more than that. Currently, I do not have a set of sharpening stones, I only have one stone which is used for chisels, and because this is my only razor that doesn’t take replacement blades I'm unsure whether it's worth buying a set of stones or sending the blade off to a professional sharpener. What are people's opinions and can you please suggest some of both which are available in the UK.

Thanks in advance

Jack

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome to the B&B community. I'm zero help as I know nothing about Darwin razors other than the distinctive handle design now copied/reproduced by several companies. I have a Wolfman Darwin handle myself... beautiful. I'm not in the UK, so that's the next reason I'm no help.

I'm sure someone will chime in soon with their suggestions.

Hi all

I’m very new to the hobby (this is about week 2) and I’ve made a bit of a drunken extravagant purchase of a Darwin safety razor. I am looking forward to getting it however it’s sold as needing a sharpen, in the set comes an auto stropper but I think it will probably need more than that. Currently, I do not have a set of sharpening stones, I only have one stone which is used for chisels, and because this is my only razor that doesn’t take replacement blades I'm unsure whether it's worth buying a set of stones or sending the blade off to a professional sharpener. What are people's opinions and can you please suggest some of both which are available in the UK.

Thanks in advance

Jack
Hello there. UK London member here. Welcome!

Do you mean the Darwin Universal? It looks to have similarities to the Rolls.

Here is the great Mad Scientist Of Wet Shaving a.k.a Big John. A superb resource for the Rolls Razor, The Valet and this.

Just watch, check to see if you have all them items mentioned in the set, and follow along. You should then be good to go.

I hope this helps.

There is also this instructional video from another Gent I haven't seen before

Hopefully between them you can get it back on the road!

Last edited:
Thanks all for the help. It’s finally arrived all safe and sound. It definitely needs a clean before use as it’s smothered in grease. Mine appears to be slightly different from the two in the video as it doesn’t have the clip in the lid but I also can’t work out how I change the hone over. So any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_9112.jpeg
IMG_9113.jpeg

Top Bottom