What's new

Getting more clogged/infected pores

Ever since I started shaving again in the past year i've noticed that I get more frequent clogged and/or infected pores. This reminds me why i stopped shaving about a decade ago or so. I get more blemishes when i shave. I've noticed these tiny little white heads that show up around the edge of my lip (no, i don't get cold sores). I also get pimples/cloggerd pores/whatever mostly in the area within in a inch or two of my mouth.

I've developed a routine of using a salicylic acid face wash around 12 hours after i shave, followed by a gently exfoliation with a wash cloth another 12 hours after that. I'm not sure if this helps but i think it might.

Anyone have any products or other recomendations for preventing these kinds of blemishes? I've never been one to have bad acne. I get the occasional pimple but that's about it. It's just that shaving increases the frequency and the worst part is that when i get these belmishes I have to stop shaving for a few days if i really want it to heal.

What is your shave routine?
Right now it starts with a shower with a gentle exfoliation using a glycerin soap and a wash cloth. Then I use the PAA cube as pre-shave. I'm currently bowl lathering but i've tried face lathering as well. I lather up, do a WTG pass, lather again, then a XTG pass. Follow up with either a AS Splash, let that dry, apply a AS balm (stirling unscented). Sometimes i use PAA Star Jelly as a combo splash/balm. My technique is good. I rarely get irritation from the shave itself. I only get these blemishes a day or two after a shave. I tend to shave every 2 to 3 days.

I have three razors that I use; RR GC w/ either .68 or .84 OC plates, Blackland BB, or the Henson TT medium. I favor the GC and BB razors.

Just spitballing here, but could it be the Stirling unscented? I use the Haverford, do not have problems, but I will say it is one of the thickest heaviest balms I own. If you are prone to clogged pores that may be contributing. May try an alcohol based a/s, with a dab of 444 for moisture?

Have you tried different blades? With that many days growth maybe you are getting some tugging and irritation. Try some different aftershave splashes to see if you can find something that seems to kill whatever bacteria are causing your blemishes. Be sure to moisturize after your splash. In the evening use a good quality face cleanser followed by a good moisturizer. On the days you don't shave, you should still cleanse and moisturize twice a day. Healthy, well hydrated skin is less likely to develop problems.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Just a suggestion that I use after rinsing with warm water followed by a cold rinse of my face. I discovered that most shave soaps have a higher alkaline Ph level than 7, 7 being neutral for normal skin on the PH level index.
But I once in awhile get a ingrown hair or a red spot on my skin so I gently use a worn out tooth brush and just gently brush that area to free any hair or blemish issues and just use my a spray bottle with regular witch hazel that has 14% alcohol in it and just apply and rub my hand over the beard area to cleanse the skin of soap residual followed by a dry soft washcloth and that has reduced any issues for years. Feels good also. Then apply aftershave and balm if you want to.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
It sounds like you've thought about your routine in some detail. I'm leaning in the direction of the problem being some ingredient in the things you're using, since you say you rarely get irritation from the actual act of shaving.

One of the paradoxical things is that sometimes getting your skin too clean causes more problems. I have a couple of spots where I can get irritation if I A) try to get the skin too clean; B) use warm lather; or C) keep trying to get closer. I've learned that they'll be what they'll be and that's fine.

You know your allergies and sensitivities better than I. However, I think I'd investigate scent-free soap, a synthetic brush, and finishing with a good long cold rinse. If you must use an aftershave, I'd say find one with the fewest possible ingredients and use it sparingly. Also, when toweling off pat, don't rub.

I get far less irritation in the warmer months when there's more humidity. When it gets down under 10 per cent in the middle of a deep cold low I really have to lay on the Nivea Sensitive balm. That cures the dryness and doesn't seem to clog up the pores. At the moment with super high humidity in the mid-30s (Heh...bit of a joke) I'm not using any balm at all. Lather, shave, rinse; on to the next challenge.

O.H.

It sounds like you've thought about your routine in some detail. I'm leaning in the direction of the problem being some ingredient in the things you're using, since you say you rarely get irritation from the actual act of shaving.

One of the paradoxical things is that sometimes getting your skin too clean causes more problems. I have a couple of spots where I can get irritation if I A) try to get the skin too clean; B) use warm lather; or C) keep trying to get closer. I've learned that they'll be what they'll be and that's fine.

You know your allergies and sensitivities better than I. However, I think I'd investigate scent-free soap, a synthetic brush, and finishing with a good long cold rinse. If you must use an aftershave, I'd say find one with the fewest possible ingredients and use it sparingly. Also, when toweling off pat, don't rub.

I get far less irritation in the warmer months when there's more humidity. When it gets down under 10 per cent in the middle of a deep cold low I really have to lay on the Nivea Sensitive balm. That cures the dryness and doesn't seem to clog up the pores. At the moment with super high humidity in the mid-30s (Heh...bit of a joke) I'm not using any balm at all. Lather, shave, rinse; on to the next challenge.

O.H.
I do think dry winter air contributes to irritation on my lower neck but I see that as a separate issue. I think shaving too close is probably contributing to some of the blemishes around my mouth. I'm no dermatologist and I could be getting this completely wrong but I have a hunch that when I get super close on a shave it just gives nasty dirt and bacteria more of a chance to embed itself in the pores/skin.

I was hoping someone could recommend an effective but gentle anti pimple ointment other than salicylic acid but i'm not sure that really exists. The more effective treatments run the risk of further drying out the skin which can cause other problems. I think my best bet is to keep trying different products and routines and see if I notice any meaningful difference.

Thanks all for the help.

I do think dry winter air contributes to irritation on my lower neck but I see that as a separate issue. I think shaving too close is probably contributing to some of the blemishes around my mouth. I'm no dermatologist and I could be getting this completely wrong but I have a hunch that when I get super close on a shave it just gives nasty dirt and bacteria more of a chance to embed itself in the pores/skin.

I was hoping someone could recommend an effective but gentle anti pimple ointment other than salicylic acid but i'm not sure that really exists. The more effective treatments run the risk of further drying out the skin which can cause other problems. I think my best bet is to keep trying different products and routines and see if I notice any meaningful difference.

Thanks all for the help.
Have you tried any AHA centric solutions vs BHA/salicyclic acid or a blend of each? They both have trade offs and potential irritation under the right conditions and concentrations. I have found a light weight AHA face wash to be beneficial and more soothing, along with moderate alcohol and witch hazel blends post shave, including the typical skin nutrients. It's not always perfect protection depending on the amount of cumulative shaves and intensity.

Have you tried any AHA centric solutions vs BHA/salicyclic acid or a blend of each? They both have trade offs and potential irritation under the right conditions and concentrations. I have found a light weight AHA face wash to be beneficial and more soothing, along with moderate alcohol and witch hazel blends post shave, including the typical skin nutrients. It's not always perfect protection depending on the amount of cumulative shaves and intensity.
Are there any AHA washes you recommend?

Are there any AHA washes you recommend?
I've been using Clinicians Complex Foaming Gel Cleanser for many years, originally provided by a dermatologist. It seems to be a line that has stood the test of time for many, although I am sure you could find more current iterations of AHA blended offerings.

Top Bottom