What's new

Get Your Hike On! - Picture Thread

Albuquerque, NM March 2011
While my wife was in a seminar, I spent a few hours in the Sandias. La Luz Trail!
proxy.php

I had traveled from SW Florida.
proxy.php

Post holing up to my hips!
Steep hiking near the crest! Beautiful!
proxy.php

Last edited:
This was taken near Lake Blanche, just a 30 minute drive and 3 mile hike from downtown Salt Lake City.
View attachment 324573
This is the Grotto waterfall, near Payson, UT.
$grotto.jpg
Little Wildhorse Canyon, near Goblin Valley State Park, UT (sorry, they're blurry cell phone pics):
$2012-10-21_11-54-07_525.jpg
$2012-10-21_11-46-14_752.jpg

Last edited:
I've been on a couple hikes during the past week or so. The first was extremely rainy and foggy. I didn't take my camera for fear of it getting soaked, though there wasn't much to take a picture of. Yesterday's day hike, however, yielded this beauty: It's at Mary's Rock in Shenandoah National Park.

$IMG_0440.jpg

I lived in the UK from 2009-2012. These are photos of a weekend backpacking trip a friend and I did in the Lake District. If you've never been, drop whatever you're doing and go there now. It's lovely this time of year.

$P1040991.jpg

$P1050022.jpg

$P1050053.jpg

$P1050078.jpg

$P1050152.jpg

We did a lot of hiking, mountain biking, and climbing/bouldering during our time there. Wales, Scotland, and the north of England are amazing places to play outdoors. We could have happily lived there for the rest of our lives. We tried to, in fact, but there's that whole job nonsense that everyone tells you you're supposed to have.

-Andy

Last edited:
yea, i had to pay and wait 8 hours to get my truck brought to the campground. the ranger there told me it was likely a bear that took my boot, as i unthinkingly kicked some fish guts/carcass into the river.

My pictures are not as spectacular, but I got back a few weeks ago from Shenandoah National Park. Here are a couple of my better shots.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here's a shot of King Ravine from my hike a few weeks ago. I hiked up the ridge you see in the foreground to Mt. Adams, the tallest peak in the picture. Circled down to the other side of the ravine. This was my lunch spot. Hope to get out this coming weekend and do some big miles.

$Mt Adams 2013 062.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
one of the waterfalls at Starved Rock State Park in Illinois. Earlier this year. There are about 3-4 other great waterfalls there but the trail that led here was the only trail open that day. Heavy rains made the other trails dangerous and they were closed.

Finally got a chance to get out again yesterday. Went and did a loop of the Baldfaces, which are some peaks on the eastern edge of the WMNF. They straddle the NH/ME line. Usually less crowded than the Whites. Lots of above treeline hiking with a nice breeze. Below the ridge it was like hiking in the jungle.

View from just under the South Baldface summit. Carter/Wildcat range in the background with the afternoon T-storms forming over Mt. Washington behind them.
$023.jpg

Looking back towards the ridge I ascended, with North Baldface to the left of the giant cairn.
$025.jpg

Looking back up to South Baldface from Bald Knob below it.
$026.jpg

Where I'm heading. Down.
$027.jpg

The great reward. Emerald Pool. Water temp was in the 50's. I lasted about 90 seconds. These rock jumpers have a higher pain threshold than me.
$028.jpg

Last edited:
$image.jpg
Another one for the wildlife fans - this from Werribee Gorge, about an hour west of Melbourne.
The closest I ever got to a koala in the wild - shot with an iPhone (yep, I got to within about 3 yards).
This was last August I think...

Top Bottom