What's new

Georgetown G12 Scuttle Review

Design and Ergonomics

I always though Georgetown makes the best looking scuttles, and they didn’t disappoint with their G12 scuttle. I recently ordered the “Ivory & Green Oribe” glaze as they offered discounted shipping to Canada. The dimensions of the scuttle are nice a compact:

• Overall Dimensions: 5.25" Dia x 3.25" H
  • Inner Bowl Dimensions: 4" Dia x 2.25" H
  • 12 oz. water reservoir

For me the size of the scuttle is perfect, much preferred to many previous shave mugs I’ve tried in the past. The lather bowl is perfectly sized for a variety of brushes, and I does not take excessive space on my countertop. I was also pleased that the pictures on the website were a reasonably accurate depiction of how my scuttle appears in person. My pictures are taken with my smartphone and doesn’t fully show how beautiful this scuttle appears in real life. It’s beautifully glazed that deserves to be shown with better photography than I can provide. In short, it looks absolutely stunning.

$1.jpg$2.jpg$3.jpg

Temperature

I like to set my water heater to approximately 43°C (110°F). It’s nice and comfortable for showering when it comes out of my taps, and I don’t run the risk of accidental burns. Unfortunately this is insufficiently warm for scuttle use, thus I must add boiling water from an electric kettle to get good results. I use a cheap electric kettle from Walmart which does the job. I’ve confirmed with Georgetown Pottery that it is OK adding boiling water (my kettle warms water to 83-85°C). Nevertheless as a precaution, I cool the boiling water down before pouring it into the scuttle.
Using a digital thermometer to measure the internal water temperature of the reservoir, I got the following results:

$temp1.jpg$temp2.png

I found that this scuttle works best using a temperature of 45°C (113°F) to 55 °C (131°F). Anything below this range is too cold to appreciably heat the lather, and higher temperatures will break lather down too quickly.

Conclusions

The scuttle does its job keeping lather warm for a decent amount of time. It’s a great addition for the winter and can be used as a lather bowl year round.

For people deciding whether or not to get a scuttle, the G12 is an excellent choice. Note that a decent sized badger brush is probably best (due to its heat retention). I didn’t get as good results using my synthetics. Also the initial application of warm lather feels great, but it cools rapidly after applying it to your face. Thus some gents might find scuttle use to be too much effort for the momentary benefits it provides.

Although not using a G12 I was also surprised how fast lather cools after the initial warm application. It seems
like it goes to room temp within seconds of lathering on the face.

Excellent review! Thanks for all the work and for posting your results. The GP scuttles have gorgeous glazing and their design is impecable.

Excellent choice and congrats. Your review might push me over the fence.

Temperature

I like to set my water heater to approximately 43°C (110°F). It’s nice and comfortable for showering when it comes out of my taps, and I don’t run the risk of accidental burns....
That is true about burns but there is something else to consider:

Legionella bacteria

Legionnaires' disease

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My tap water is around 130 degrees F. It's a little to hot to hold your hand under for very long, but it's perfect for the scuttle.

I fill my G12 before my shower and soak the SOC in the bowl. After the shower I dump the water and refill. The scuttle is as hot as I ever want it on my palm while making lather and the lather stays warm through the third pass.

Top Bottom