What's new

Gentlemen's Essentials: Snus

I don't use snus all that often (only when i drink) so buying it a can at a time can get expensive.

My question is, do you notice any difference when your store it in the fridge? I hate when you get old snus and its hard as a rock.:thumbdown

I notice a difference if I take it in and out of the fridge over and over again. Dehydration + rehydration + dehydration etc can dry it out quicker. I guess that if I only used snus every once in a while I would probably try to keep it in the fridge as much as possible.

I had my best snus, so far, yesterday. It was the NEW Mint flavor from my General sampler. The mint flavor is nearly perfect and not overpowering like the Camel Frost. It also has a pronounced tobacco flavor, unlike the Camel.

Tim

I notice a difference if I take it in and out of the fridge over and over again. Dehydration + rehydration + dehydration etc can dry it out quicker. I guess that if I only used snus every once in a while I would probably try to keep it in the fridge as much as possible.

Oh once it comes out of the fridge it wont go back in. I'm asking more along the lines of just being stored in the fridge.

Should the expiration date on Snus be observed rigorously, or will it last longer? I ask because I have a can I plan on giving a friend trying to quit cigs, and will be quite embarrassed if the stuff is hard/unusable. (It's in a sealed, never opened can but is dated for April 28th)

Should the expiration date on Snus be observed rigorously, or will it last longer? I ask because I have a can I plan on giving a friend trying to quit cigs, and will be quite embarrassed if the stuff is hard/unusable. (It's in a sealed, never opened can but is dated for April 28th)

That is not so far out of date as to make much difference. Go ahead and give them to him.

What kind are they?

Tim

The tin I plan on giving him is General White. The sample packs are individual packets of General White along with other General Brand lines. I don't recall what they are off the top of my head.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Dang guys... I finally caved in and bought some minis just to try. The general white mint snus in white portion is quite good. Only problem? It's giving me the hiccups after about 10 minutes! Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Heh, heh. Yesterday, I opened my nightstand drawer trying to help find a package of BB's for my 12-year old son. We didn't find the BB's, but my Camel and General snus were on top of the stuff in the drawer.

Later in the afternoon, I went to get myself one of the General snus. The Camels were gone. I searched through the drawer and could not find them. Around 6:30, my son came home and was all mopey and maybe kind of sick. He laid down for a while, which is highly unusual for him. I asked him if he was ok and he said, yes.

This morning, I opened the drawer and the box of Camel snus was right on top. :lol:

Tim

It sounds like your son went through an ancient rite-of-passage yesterday! :lol:

Just make sure to hide the General so he doesn't decide that he needs a second try at that rite-of-passage.:tongue_sm

Dang guys... I finally caved in and bought some minis just to try. The general white mint snus in white portion is quite good. Only problem? It's giving me the hiccups after about 10 minutes! Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

It sounds like a classic case of the nic hics, to me! Over time your tolerance will adapt and you won't have that issue, hopefully. As a pipe smoker, I can say that General Snus is fairly strong. I took some along with me one day while antiquing and decided to use one (I believe it was the standard White portion) since I didn't have a pipe along which would have went perfectly with the rustic settings of downtown Boerne...and I must say, after one 'dose' I had a very strong need to go grab lunch. To be fair, I found myself chain-snusing the different flavors after lunch (about three packages, the mint was my favorite, if I recall correctly) and did okay.

Last edited:
I

instyle

Wow, amazing thread! Cheers. I was linked to this thread from another forum. Im from Sweden myself and i discovered this great new site about snus (in english) an easy way to understand the history and manufacturing of Swedish Snus, it may take a while to load but it's worth it.

www.thisisswedishsnus.com

For those with really low internet connection these youtube clips can be helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx8eD-GvFg4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLLmDw_Y5GE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvJvEOfoE10

Enjoy!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Well, I got four tins of snus to give it a try, and after the first week I was liking the flavor. I have all four tins at work. It has now been two weeks, and all I can say is I think I'd better throw the tins out before the addiction really takes hold, because I think about it about every half-hour! You guys weren't kidding.

awesome article at the start. i recently started using snus to cut down on smoking and save the smoking for special tobaccos, my pipe and strong coffees.

favorite so far is general although my morning snus is Dry Catch Eucalyptus and mint. i'm not quite sure i like Goteburgs Rape but Grov snus is moving up the list

A good read. Never heard of snus before. I've went back to smoking cigarettes after quitting for ten years so I think I'll give this a try.

ClubmanRob, Great information!

I have been snusing for a few months now, and currently have 45 tins of Grov Black in the freezer, and 19 tins of OffRoad Coffee Vanilla. The Grov gets me through the day, and the OR CV is a nice evening snus before bed.

P.S. I also partake of snuff frequently over the course of the day.

I have never tried nasal snuff, just the Swedish portions, American portions (Bandits), and American loose, coarse oral snuff (Copenhagen, Skoal). I doubt that I'll try nasal.

Tim

Top Bottom