What's new

Gem vs Ever Ready

I'm hoping to buy a Gem 1912 in very good/excellent condition.

Before I start scouring the BST and Ebay etc and narrowing my search to just the Gem, can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the Gem and the Ever Ready. Also any difference between the US and UK Ever Ready.

P

Pjotr

I'm hoping to buy a Gem 1912 in very good/excellent condition.

Before I start scouring the BST and Ebay etc and narrowing my search to just the Gem, can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the Gem and the Ever Ready. Also any difference between the US and UK Ever Ready.

Wouldn't have a clue myself. Don't discard the Featherweight (both GEM and Ever Ready) or the G-bar (just GEM I thnk). Or the Clog Pruf (just GEM) or the Bullet-tip (also just GEM). You can't go wrong with any of the above or the 1912 in any of it's guises. Just straight 1912 or GEM Junior Fatty Bakelite. Or GEM Junior Slim Bakeite. Or GEM Junior with standard 1912 handle. Oh sod it, just get any damn SE and you'll be fine! Get some GEM Stainless Steel PTFE coated blades from somewhere too!

Edit: There's a very nice user grade cased GEM Junior for sale on BST right now ($15, bloody bargain). It's shipped conus but doesn't state conus only so you might be all right. Perfect shaver.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used them both and each has several variations. The differences are cosmetic really and i love the original "Fat Boy," my Gem Junior with black bakelite handle. Some have noticed a difference with the Damascene head - the profile is ever so slightly curved rather than flat like most but otherwise buy up and enjoy!

Found this one for sale in the UK. 1930's US Ever Ready re-plated in nickel. £35.

What do you think?

Your Radio is stunning. The handle looks pristine; zero tarnish. What a very cool find.

Thanks, it does appear to have been little used and stored away securely (not rattling around in the junk drawer). There are some light scratches on the flip-top but otherwise it's very clean. They really knew how to plate those old SE razors, not the like the gold spray-paint they used on Gillettes...

P

Pjotr

I love the almost maniacal look of the Ever Ready foam dude. And unless he's just seriously bald, he must have also been one of the very first head shavers.

Hi,

I have not noticed any difference shave wise between the US GEM & English Ever-Ready 1912s.

WRT prices - you ought to try living in the UK - how about 9 USD for a gallon of gasoline :frown1:

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Hi,

I have not noticed any difference shave wise between the US GEM & English Ever-Ready 1912s.

WRT prices - you ought to try living in the UK - how about 9 USD for a gallon of gasoline :frown1:

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

9 USD for a gallon of gasoline Holy Schmoly!!!!

I in Canada on Vancouver Island - pretty much the priciest spot in Canada. Price just hiked to 1.29cdn per liter - US gallon is 4 liters, so 5.17cdn a gallon - and I figured we were being robbed!!! But 9 us per - OUCH!!!! I feel for ya!

Top Bottom