What's new

GEM Under the Nose

How do you get this rather large head under your nose to get the whiskers there? I don't think I can push enough nose out of the way to get the proper angle on the blade.

How do you get this rather large head under your nose to get the whiskers there? I don't think I can push enough nose out of the way to get the proper angle on the blade.

Good post David. I am having the same problem and sort of using the GEM as a rake :eek: just below the nose. So would love to hear from any pro's with the GEM about how you guys tackle this tricky spot. BTW I use the G Bar.

I treat it like a str8. That is start at the top of the filtrum with the razor blade at as sharp an angle as you can obtain and rotate it to a lower angle as you shave downward. This action scares the squat out of me with a str8 at that high an angle, but it's the only way I know to get under the nose. I read this somewhere when I first started to try shaving with cut-throat razors.

Regards,

on my first pass, I am able to pretty much get everything directly under the nose by pushing it (my nose) to the side. That really seems to give me a clear path to those whiskers. On my second pass, I shave the moustache area at an angle, with the blade parallel to my lip, shaving in the direction of my mouth. Doing this, it is pretty easy to get the blade flush up against the nostril, picking up any stray whiskers.

Drew

OldSaw

The wife's investment

I guess the first thought that comes to mind is, WHY? :wink:

But if you must use a GEM try this tip I learned while getting a shave in Taormina, Sicily. With a relaxed upper lip, lift up on the tip of your nose and shave down. By not tightening your lip, it will lift more and allow a better angle.

I guess the first thought that comes to mind is, WHY? :wink:

Who wants little hairs under their nose? :confused:

But if you must use a GEM try this tip I learned while getting a shave in Taormina, Sicily. With a relaxed upper lip, lift up on the tip of your nose and shave down. By not tightening your lip, it will lift more and allow a better angle.

Oh, I see. I use a GEM because it is there. Same like the rest of my razors. :lol:

Thanks for the tips, all! Will try them tomorrow.

Shave sideways, from the center of the lip to the corner of the mouth. And be careful waving that big honking razor head right there, I managed to cut my nose once with one of those.
:oops:

I use the GEM just like I use my regular DE razor:

First pass: down and at a slight angle (each direction) under the nose.
Second pass: horizontally, and I shave both directions---sideways.
Third pass: up, against the grain.

The second pass---the horizontal, bi-directional pass---is important for me, since my mustache is quite tough and I must reduce it as much as possible before shaving ATG.

I use the GEM just like I use my regular DE razor:

First pass: down and at a slight angle (each direction) under the nose.
Second pass: horizontally, and I shave both directions---sideways.
Third pass: up, against the grain.

The second pass---the horizontal, bi-directional pass---is important for me, since my mustache is quite tough and I must reduce it as much as possible before shaving ATG.

Exactly... minus the ATG part for me.

I :001_wub: Gems... especially the micromatic opencombers. They have such heft, and can mow whiskers on me like nobody's business. I shaved a 3 day growth down to BBS today in 3 passes as described above (minus the ATG under the nose, as I can't manage to swing that one yet) with no irritation.

Let me repeat... GEMS ARE AWESOME!!! I love them. I just had to get used to the sound of the blade and everything has been golden since.

Did I mention... I love Gems :biggrin:.

-Andrew

V

VR6ofpain

Andrew what blades do you use? I am seriously considering picking up a GEM, but I am not sure what I should do about blades. Walgreens carries some, but they are rather expensive. I have heard of those Ted Pella blades, but would have to order them.

Andrew what blades do you use? I am seriously considering picking up a GEM, but I am not sure what I should do about blades. Walgreens carries some, but they are rather expensive. I have heard of those Ted Pella blades, but would have to order them.

I am using the Treet blades from CVS. Another B&B member is sending me a sample of the PTFE coated pella SS blades to try.

So far, the only problem I have with the CVS blades are that since they are carbon steel, they will rust/discolor on the surface. Even so, they still work fine for a good 5 or so shaves. Recently what I do is (carefully) dry the blade and inside the razor head with tissue paper after use and that keeps them from developing any surface rusting. I never touch the edge though. A good blow will remove any moisture from that.

There are several folks here who use the CVS blades and like them. Others rave about how nice the pella SS ptfe coated blades are. I have heard the carbon CVS blades are sharper, but the pella blades provide a smoother shave because of the PTFE coating. I guess I will find out soon enough.

If you have a CVS around, try the treets. I think Walgreens may have those or the GEM blades. Might be worth giving a try as well.

Just remember: "Hold razor flat against face.":biggrin:

Andrew

The shaving sideways did the trick. Thanks to everyone.

The GEM is my new speed shaving device! I know now I can pull it out and get a quick shave if I am rushed in the morning.

Top Bottom