What's new

GEM PFTE: Longevity

Anyone here struggle with getting extended use from these blades. To me it seems like 4 and pretty much done. I could potentially even bin them after 3 uses.

I should add that most of my DE blades are 1-3 uses with the exception of the Personna Med Prep I am using that has seen 4 uses (longest ever on a DE blade for me). I see about 6-8 uses on the AC blades before I bin them.

Could just be the coarseness of my hair but was just curious.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I get at least 10 (usually closer to 15) shaves from my GEM SS PTFE blades; but I also get at least 7 (sometimes a few more) from my DE blades (Voskhod and Nacet, mostly). I will caveat with the following:
  1. I typically do 2 passes (WTG and XTG with ATG in some areas) and a clean-up pass that could be just a spot touch-up, or could end up being a full-on pass.

2. I don't shoot for BBS, just DFS.

3. I don't head shave, only face shave....but I don't have any facial hair, so it's the whole face.

4. My hair is thin/fine....has been from birth, and while the beard is getting a bit coarser with age, I couldn't really grow anything resembling a beard, even if I tried (and I have).

5. And I don't know if this matters, but I always take out every blade (except the injectors) after every shave and rinse them thoroughly and then carefully pat them dry with a soft towel....yep, I'm a weirdo. I can't imagine "blade maintenance" matters for these stainless steel coated blades, but I thought I'd put it out there.
Given at least some of the points above into account, I could see why I get more shaves from my blades than some do. Hope this helps....curious to hear what others say.

Op, I get the exact same longevity out of mine.
4 is it on the gem ptfe.
1-3 depending on the de.

I’m guessing we have the same hair.

sometimes I wonder what these Excalibur types are doing differently.

I get at least 10 (usually closer to 15) shaves from my GEM SS PTFE blades; but I also get at least 7 (sometimes a few more) from my DE blades (Voskhod and Nacet, mostly). I will caveat with the following:
  1. I typically do 2 passes (WTG and XTG with ATG in some areas) and a clean-up pass that could be just a spot touch-up, or could end up being a full-on pass.

2. I don't shoot for BBS, just DFS.

3. I don't head shave, only face shave....but I don't have any facial hair, so it's the whole face.

4. My hair is thin/fine....has been from birth, and while the beard is getting a bit coarser with age, I couldn't really grow anything resembling a beard, even if I tried (and I have).

5. And I don't know if this matters, but I always take out every blade (except the injectors) after every shave and rinse them thoroughly and then carefully pat them dry with a soft towel....yep, I'm a weirdo. I can't imagine "blade maintenance" matters for these stainless steel coated blades, but I thought I'd put it out there.
Given at least some of the points above into account, I could see why I get more shaves from my blades than some do. Hope this helps....curious to hear what others say.

Yeah. This is helpful for sure.

I am normally a 3 pass shaver (WTG, XTG and XTG/ATG).
Same as you, don't shoot for BBS.
Only face shaves for me as well.
Definitely very thick hair for me. Beard hair is pretty coarse.
I have actually started following the same routine as you over the last few weeks. Mainly because I wanted to make sure that my razor is cleaned out after the shave. Takes only an additional minute or two, so why not I figured.

I think its just the hair type + number of passes that could be the difference makers but not sure.

Op, I get the exact same longevity out of mine.
4 is it on the gem ptfe.
1-3 depending on the de.

I’m guessing we have the same hair.

sometimes I wonder what these Excalibur types are doing differently.

Ok. That makes sense then. I sometimes don't get how folks are getting 20+ shaves with a DE blade. Has to be more to do with the hair type than anything else. I shudder to thing what using the same blade over that many uses would do to my face.

Top Bottom