What's new

GD Prep

I honed two GD's yesterday. I had to shave down the shoulders on both as they sat proud of the spine which meant that the edge didn't sit flat on the hone. After that they honed very well.

Legion

Staff member
thanks everyone for the tips and pointers.. will try them out and see how it is.. hopefully i don't do anything stupid!

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. As long as you wear protective gear the worst that can happen is you kill a cheap Chinese razor. Plenty more where it came from.

Wow - that work of creating the bamboo shaped scales and sculpting the blade to match is just great design and worksmanship - really well done Mark ! :)

Thank you Khay, very nice of you to say so. Themes are fun.

And the result of the work I outlined you can see how little of a slot is needed to house the blade in the second shot of the Bamboo razor. Centers nicely.

Last edited:
Glad you found it useful. Just remember to show what you end up with.
I'm sure you've seen it but this is my most recent GD since I have others here. I'm working on some others as well.

Attachments

• $IMG_4349.jpg
    $IMG_4349.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 543
  • $IMG_4345.jpg
    $IMG_4345.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 536
  • $IMG_4393.jpg
    $IMG_4393.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 537
  • $IMG_4326.jpg
    $IMG_4326.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 541
  • $IMG_4371.jpg
    $IMG_4371.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 542
Great information. I really enjoy all of the work and knowledge you share. Being new to this I doubt I will get even 40% this detailed. I also think I buggered the edge of the razor you sent me with my poor technique because it doesn't pop hair like that. I thought I honed a couple vintage razors pretty well until watching that video too! Better get my lapping film out again and work on it some more. Thanks for sharing.

Glad you found this helpful.
Don' worry. Proficiency comes with time and experience.
One day you'll look back and be pleasantly surprised at what you have learned.

Once I scuffed the blade I noticed a bit less contact at the heel, ground a bit of the spine ( already knew where the high spot was from prior measurements) and now I have full contact. Also by checking the thickness of the blade at several spots I can see how consistent the blade thickness is per piece. This way , when I get to the final hone I won't see narrow and wide hone areas along the edge. I get nice consistent hone marks all along the edge on both sides.
I know this is an old thread but hopefully you are still following it. Regarding this pic:

View attachment 473146

I'm not quite getting that part I quoted. How does grinding the spine allow you more contact at the heel?

How can you impact the thickness of the blade? The only way I can conceive of is by actually re-working the hollow grind which is probably above my pay grade.

changing the spine affects the way the razor lays on the hone. I don't think mycarver is regrinding the hollows, just correcting the spine warp. I use a 325 dmt to remove the area at the back of the spine to get it tapered. I may be wrong here but sure he will jump in.

Top Bottom