What's new

Games for two

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
The television is at times a welcome diversion. Much of the time a well prepared meal and some good conversation is the paramount of a nicely shared evening. At times we enjoy listening to a podcast together. Often we're each embroiled in our respective reading devices and simply happy in one another's company.

Aside from that SWMBO and I enjoy playing chess, scrabble and occasionally cribbage. You get me. I'm blessed to be living with my crush, person, one true love, etc. But I'm open to some new ideas. The thread states games for two, but I'm really looking for anything that my fellow B&Brs enjoy doing with their significant other.

Games are encouraged but any and all suggestions for quality time at home are appreciated.

Two person games? Here are some of our favorites:

Boggle (my wife beats me every time, I need a golf-style handicap)
Lost Cities card game
Hera and Zeus (a card game version of Stratego imo) (I love this, my wife tolerates my love of this) (heh, I've never lost)
Trivial Pursuit
7 Wonders card game
Odin's Ravens
Chinese Checkers (reverse of Hera and Zeus for us)

Also, not a game by any means, but we do both love this. When we read books at the end of the day (she reads more often than I do), we often share things we like about what we are reading. This could be an any part of the day thing, if you both like to read enough.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Not an "at home" suggestion, but what about a physical activity? Go for a walk or run together, take a bike ride, go kayaking, etc.
Appreciated, but at the low end of outdoor/physical activities being walking the dog, medium place yoga/working out 5x a week, high end... we love living in Colorado and enjoy hiking, biking, skiing, been known to jump in a yak, get our pickkeball on, etc., etc., but not what I'm looking for here.

That being said, if anyone lives in the Denver metro, we're in our early 50's and would always welcome a similar couple to hang with.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Two person games? Here are some of our favorites:

Boggle (my wife beats me every time, I need a golf-style handicap)
Lost Cities card game
Hera and Zeus (a card game version of Stratego imo) (I love this, my wife tolerates my love of this) (heh, I've never lost)
Trivial Pursuit
7 Wonders card game
Odin's Ravens
Chinese Checkers (reverse of Hera and Zeus for us)

Also, not a game by any means, but we do both love this. When we read books at the end of the day (she reads more often than I do), we often share things we like about what we are reading. This could be an any part of the day thing, if you both like to read enough.
Agreed on the books and sharing. My kindle is like my adult "blankie" and we enjoy sharing what we're reading. Love it when we find the 1x or 2x a yearbwhen we enjoy the same book.

I will TOTALLY look into many if your other recommendations.

Thank you!

Darts. Various games, you get better the more you play. Not just sitting around a table, something a little different than a board or card game.

Can be fun and you can add competition or "loser has to _____". Fill in the blank with something fun, a chore or something spicy. No gender advantage

Puzzles.

Last edited:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Board games in the mix or primarily card?
Certainly board games are in the mix. Throw it out there. For my wife and I we don't go too deep into "legacy" games. We do enjoy games that are less traditional ie Dixit or Anomia, but those are more on the family or "4+ players" for us. Really just looking for me v. LOTH, mellow, talkative, chill.

I'll throw Shobu out there as a recommendation/example. Simple and straightforward, strategic and not difficult to learn.

Our 2 most common games to kill a few hours are, Darts: usually just quick rounds of cricket, and Kings cribbage: sort of a scrabble/cribbage thing. Its pretty fun.
20230212_074351.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Ever heard.of Crokinole? It's super fun and can be played with 2 or 4 people.

"Crokinole?" Lol, THAT'S a real werd?

I have called the remote control for the TV that from time immemorial! Drives my wife nuts! Especially when our only begotten started calling it that. You have absolutely made my day my friend!

Wait until the next time she tells me that ain't a werd! I will show her your post and regain the Throne in this house I call my Castle!

As to the subject at hand: we started reading out loud to one another on our Honeymoon, and to this day we will on occasion. USUALLY it's a book for a Bible study these days, with her reading the bulk of it. It brings us back to simpler times.

Thank you @Chef455 for a wunnerful thread, and even more for the wunnerful memories. You are now on my list of favorite Badger and Blade members! So someone has to come off.... I think it will be @Mike M , since he has damaged olfactory nerves, and he probably cheats at chess.

Card games- with standard playing deck
3 card Golf (I'll be playing it this week with my Father in law)easy, simple, little bit of strategy
Euchre - but you need 4 people
Slap / spit - I play it with kids but still...
go fish
old maid

Cars games-non standard deck
Dominion - deck building , strategy. I love it. You can play online for free if you want to learn. But the bots are hard
Unstable unicorns
Exploding kittens
Sushi go

Board games -(non legacy)
Settlers of Catan- app for learning If you don't want a big buy the big board game
Scythe- Play online on Steam if you don't want to buy the big board game. I love it!!! Beautiful illustrations, well thought out, very strategic
Ticket to ride- has an app. Good game
Wingspan
Azul
Sherriff of knottingham
Reef
Carcassonne
Scotland yard - has an app - better with more people

There's a LOT of really fun 2 player games, depending on your interest. Star Realms (or Hero Realms) is a 2 player combative card game. They can even be played COOP if you don't want to sleep on the couch sometimes. :)

Great thread and apropos for my LOTH and me as well. Good suggestions above.

Rummikub is better with 4, but decent for 2. Gin Rummy in the same vein.

Outside we enjoy the occasional game of Bocce.

Top Bottom