What's new

G5C Brush Knot

I am a truely a dedicated badger brush user. I have a moderate collection of artisan high end handles with high end badger knots. Today I used for the first time a brush that I made yesterday. It is a in expensive handle purchased on Ali express. The knot is a AP Shaveco G5C synthetic fan 26mm knot. I am totally amazed with the performance of this knot. It is the closet synthetic that I found performs like a badger. Great backbone, great lather flow, and amazingly holds more water than any other synthetic that I have used. This brush will now become my main travel brush, since synthetics dry faster. I welcome any body else's opinion, or experience with this knot. Picture of this morning's shave with the G5C knot

Attachments

• 20230622_074825.jpg
    20230622_074825.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 91
Looks like a great setup. Have you tried the Muhle STF knot, particularly the XL / 25mm? I have found it the closest to badger. I have a 24mm fan G5C from ap shave co, but I haven't it used it since the Muhle, and now Wald A1(although the A1 is a different profile from the Muhle).

Looks like a great setup. Have you tried the Muhle STF knot, particularly the XL / 25mm? I have found it the closest to badger. I have a 24mm fan G5C from ap shave co, but I haven't it used it since the Muhle, and now Wald A1(although the A1 is a different profile from the Muhle).
Can you purchase just the knot from Muhle? I like to buy my own separate handles, and do my own knot installs.

I'm familiar with Rudy Vey but have never purchased from him. I'm on the list at wolfwhiskers for a handle and was planning to use a badger knot. Thinking can allows change. Thanks :straight:

Together with the Muehle STF XL, the G5C (26mm) is my top brush. While I do slightly prefer the STF because of the easier splay and because it releases lather a bit more easily, the G5C is the perfect brush to alternate with. It's also the perfect gateway synthetic for badger users.. why do I still have all those other brushes..

IMG_4683.jpg

Together with the Muehle STF XL, the G5C (26mm) is my top brush. While I do slightly prefer the STF because of the easier splay and because it releases lather a bit more easily, the G5C is the perfect brush to alternate with. It's also the perfect gateway synthetic for badger users.. why do I still have all those other brushes..

View attachment 1674965
I have both as well and share the same opinion. Been waiting a long time to pull the trigger on the stf and it was well worth the wait.

I had the G5C and think it was worthy of the hype. But I'm not a fan of fans and prefer the hybrid MiG knot instead. Pared with a few STFs, of course.

The razor company has them in stock. I will take advantage of my first responder discount there.

Would you please post a picture of your brush with the MiG knot? Thanks
David's is the same knot as mine was:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
We've parted ways, I'm afraid, since I decided to go all STF.

David's is the same knot as mine was:
I asked Andrew to set the MiG at 56mm loft - a bit higher than standard. At 56mm, the MiG very closely approximates my STFs.

The MiG, in my opinion, is a viable option in my synthetic knot arsenal.

I asked Andrew to set the MiG at 56mm loft - a bit higher than standard. At 56mm, the MiG very closely approximates my STFs.

The MiG, in my opinion, is a viable option in my synthetic knot arsenal.
I had two MiGs for a while; one was set at 54mm, the other 57mm. Doesn't read as much of a difference, but we all know that can radically change face-feel and performance. I preferred the former, which I would describe as a "muscular" knot, nearly as soft-tipped as the STF but with a bit more muscle overall, just different enough to make a good alternative to the "refined" STF. (My STFs are all set at 55mm.) Again, my only complaints with the MiG are the fibers need to be longer, and looks-wise I wish the coloration was darker.

My 26mm G5C was set at the shorter loft as well. It had more scrub than the MiG and STF, but was still plenty soft. I just didn't care for the fan shape, much preferring the hybrid.

Top Bottom