What's new

Frog Morton Cellar question

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So is it a big difference in taste from original FM? Or does one need a Phd. in Mortonology?
I tasted a difference immediately. First, the Latakia is a bit more subtle. I get a bit of creamy sweetness that is nice, but not overwhelming like aromatics can be. As reviews have said, the whiskey is there- just enough to tease you. I feel a warmth when I smoke it.

I see what you're doing here, Owen. Slow playing the enabling, reel 'em all in.

Chasing syngent, indeed.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Interesting discovery- eating Kentucky Fried Chicken then smoking Cellar is quite stellar.

oh yeah there is a hint of whiskey/bourbon. but I think it is more whatever they did to the tobacco than the block of wood. my stuff in the mason jar smells about the same as new out the tin, or at least not enough difference to note.

Exactly what I wanted to say when I read the OP's question. Excellent tobacco regardless. :thumbup:

It is a tasty tasty blend, I have enabled a few friends with it to move over to pipes. I do taste the whisky a little bit from a frest tin, I'm going to cellar the other tin I have for a year to see how much better it is.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It is a tasty tasty blend, I have enabled a few friends with it to move over to pipes. I do taste the whisky a little bit from a frest tin, I'm going to cellar the other tin I have for a year to see how much better it is.
I predict it will only get better.

Owen, you are a bad man, no better than James!:laugh: I just picked up a 50g tin of FM Cellar this morning. I felt myself magnetically drawn to the Iwan Ries store in downtown Chicago. I was also forced to buy a pouch of Captain Black and some pipe filters for my MM cob. :biggrin1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Owen, you are a bad man, no better than James!:laugh: I just picked up a 50g tin of FM Cellar this morning. I felt myself magnetically drawn to the Iwan Ries store in downtown Chicago. I was also forced to buy a pouch of Captain Black and some pipe filters for my MM cob. :biggrin1:
Hope you like it, Ed.

Speaking of pipe filters for the MM cob, I just picked up some off amazon too. The only difference is, I'm and idiot and bought a whole box for $10 thinking it was a single pack for $1. :oops: Now I don't think I'll ever run out of pipe filters

Right. Wood samples obtained (American oak, ex-bourbon cask, American oak and European oak, ex-sherry casks, then used for whisky for about 20 years each). Need something fairly neutral to age with them. Any recommendations? No point in using anything aromatic, which is generally what I smoke.

Sounds like a fun experiment ReAndyMator. Are you planning to age the same tobacco in three parts: one without wood, one with sherry wood, and one with bourbon wood to see if there's a difference?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Right. Wood samples obtained (American oak, ex-bourbon cask, American oak and European oak, ex-sherry casks, then used for whisky for about 20 years each). Need something fairly neutral to age with them. Any recommendations? No point in using anything aromatic, which is generally what I smoke.
Why not try regular Frog Morton? Cellar is basically FM that has aged with the barrel would, I believe.

Top Bottom