What's new

Freshly honed razors...

So after spending some time using a straight razor to shave, my brother gave me a new razor out of the kindness of his heart. Along with the new razor, he gave me a couple of lessons on honing.

He took the razor that I had first (an old Gold Dollar), and started rehoning it for me while explaining everything to me. He used a couple of synthetic stones, and then took the new razor he had given me sharpened it with a coticule. He (tried to) explained to me the differences in the stones and the benefits of each. He then took me and had me shave using both. I can honestly say that having the new razor that was honed on the coticule felt amazing on my face, zero nicks, very close shave and little razor burn (and that was due to my technique breaking down).

Then he had me shave using the razor that had been sharpened on the synthetic stones. I was absolutely amazed. It was a very similar shave, but it felt a bit "sharper" on my face. Very similar results, and then he explained that he had only used an 8k hone on it. It was my understanding that to reach such an edge on my razors I would need it honed on at least a 12k hone. As I continue to learn about honing and proper care for razors, it amazes me the different techniques and differences in technique that can so dramatically improve the quality of the shave.

Just felt like sharing I guess ;)

Sounds great, I heard about your trip yesterday.....Great stuff. I'll bet it also had something to do with the soap you used...seeings how he started you on a bad note there....:wink2:

Edit: Note the avator, you and Paul 10 years ago before str8's....LOL....I'm thinking Dusty does not like str8's.

I gotta say, that was an incredible day for me. To be able to see/use all the products he has accumulated over the year he's been doing this was a lot of fun. I'm sure the soap had something to do with it, but he's pretty good with the hone if I can brag on him a bit. I'm hoping given a little bit of patience, I'll get there too.

Sounds great, I heard about your trip yesterday.....Great stuff. I'll bet it also had something to do with the soap you used...seeings how he started you on a bad note there....:wink2:

Edit: Note the avator, you and Paul 10 years ago before str8's....LOL....I'm thinking Dusty does not like str8's.

Did Paul start him out with Williams? :lol:

I'll tell you though, he let me clean him out. I came home with 2 more soaps, a bunch of razors that I get to play around with (restore), samples of more soaps/creams, cologne samples, and I could keep going on. It felt more like my birthday and Christmas rolled into one afternoon.

I'll tell you though, he let me clean him out. I came home with 2 more soaps, a bunch of razors that I get to play around with (restore), samples of more soaps/creams, cologne samples, and I could keep going on. It felt more like my birthday and Christmas rolled into one afternoon.

barber's hone :thumbup:

Yeah, like I said...I cleaned him out.

I was happy to do it... I got a pretty good deal out of it too. Now I have some razors on the way to get restored/destroyed depending on how you do :lol1:

Now, you just need to pick up a strop... I'm really interested to use that Paladin at some point (we can do a strop swap). Also, I'd really really like for one of us to pick up an SRD Premium IV English Bridal strop :whistling:

I was happy to do it... I got a pretty good deal out of it too. Now I have some razors on the way to get restored/destroyed depending on how you do :lol1:

Now, you just need to pick up a strop... I'm really interested to use that Paladin at some point (we can do a strop swap). Also, I'd really really like for one of us to pick up an SRD Premium IV English Bridal strop :whistling:

I'll second that! Quite curious to know how it does.

Top Bottom