What's new

Frameback Friday (+Faux and Rattler)

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Classic Thiers-Issard, soap was SV Asylum 4.3 ‘Clone-ia’ lathered by a 22mm M&F Blonde Badger, and the AS was Fine’s Italian Citrus. Great way to start the weekend.

IMG_5501.jpeg

Double post.

Rameau 8/8 rattler, Semogue 1470 boar, Tabac with tallow, and Floid genuine.

For the very first time, I shaved my entire face above the chin line across the grain. Feels freaking great! It was all about figuring out how to stretch the different areas of skin.

1680913421748.png

Fri 14-My 1st Rattler and very impressed!
Razor John-Bert Cutlery Co "Oilet" Sheffield
Shave with the last of 3 SRs received from Ebay and I am wowed! This rattler can be considered the best...very comfy on both hands and the edge is so buttery soft...yet keen, just awesome!! 3 easy passes for a bbs-dfs finish...
20230414_114222.jpg

The little Berg, in new oak scales (saved the lead wedge). Some guys don't like shaving with these skinny framebacks but this one, as dainty as it is, has never bothered me. Stropping and honing can be problematic though, I've dug the edge into the stone more than once and the original floppy scales didn't help. Since it was pinned without collars, the pins had sunk into the hard rubber enough that it couldn't be tightened. All good now, though, and wearing a fresh Ark edge for a great shave.
20230428_070704.jpg

Steve56

Boy, a busy morning and late post. Interchangeable (lever) blade Derivière, 51 Rue de Lyon, Paris. Soap was vintage Strop Shoppe Black Tie tallow lathered with a SOC boar, and a splash of Myrsol Blue finished up.

It’s always interesting to see what is now at the location stamped on your razor, so here it is, a bagel shop!

IMG_8344.jpeg
IMG_9270.jpeg

Steve56

It’s been suggested that I post these here even though they aren’t really framebacks/rattlers, but they are kind of half a frameback. They’re orihi kamisori, ‘or‘ meaning ‘gutter’ in Japan, so ‘gutter type’ kamisore. The omote side is functionally a frameback, but the ura is not. These are an old design the type that the Buddhists first brought to Japan centuries ago. There’s a hone stowed in the bottom of the box, and a nagura in the top compartment. This set was made in the late ‘3ps or early ‘40s.

I only know of three sets, mine, Jethro (Fikira) had one (now sold) and @Luecke2326 has a set.

The most ‘different’ thing about them is the lack of weight, each one is under 30g. They shave very well, and like many framebacks and rattlers that we see posted here, the steel is very hard.

IMG_5928.jpeg
IMG_7466.jpeg
IMG_4607.jpeg

Top Bottom