What's new

Frameback Friday (+Faux and Rattler)

It’s been suggested that I post these here even though they aren’t really framebacks/rattlers, but they are kind of half a frameback. They’re orihi kamisori, ‘or‘ meaning ‘gutter’ in Japan, so ‘gutter type’ kamisore. The omote side is functionally a frameback, but the ura is not. These are an old design the type that the Buddhists first brought to Japan centuries ago. There’s a hone stowed in the bottom of the box, and a nagura in the top compartment. This set was made in the late ‘3ps or early ‘40s.

I only know of three sets, mine, Jethro (Fikira) had one (now sold) and @Luecke2326 has a set.

The most ‘different’ thing about them is the lack of weight, each one is under 30g. They shave very well, and like many framebacks and rattlers that we see posted here, the steel is very hard.

View attachment 1649603View attachment 1649605View attachment 1649606
Okay.... Fine, I'll restore mine and hone it up! lol

It’s been suggested that I post these here even though they aren’t really framebacks/rattlers, but they are kind of half a frameback. They’re orihi kamisori, ‘or‘ meaning ‘gutter’ in Japan, so ‘gutter type’ kamisore. The omote side is functionally a frameback, but the ura is not. These are an old design the type that the Buddhists first brought to Japan centuries ago. There’s a hone stowed in the bottom of the box, and a nagura in the top compartment. This set was made in the late ‘3ps or early ‘40s.

I only know of three sets, mine, Jethro (Fikira) had one (now sold) and @Luecke2326 has a set.

The most ‘different’ thing about them is the lack of weight, each one is under 30g. They shave very well, and like many framebacks and rattlers that we see posted here, the steel is very hard.

View attachment 1649603View attachment 1649605View attachment 1649606
Awesome! Thanks for showing...a real eye-opener to see...truly amazing!

Frame Fri with the John-Bert Rattler
This razor, among the 3 from Ebay is just perfect! The edge is superbly soft and efficient. Stroped on the roo leather, 3 satisfying passes for a bbs finish!
20230512_064106.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Not sure if it’s often seen

They are more uncommon than the set-screw type for sure. I have a couple of them.

The lever-lock design is nice for travel because if you lose the screw on a screw type when changing the blade - and it’s really tiny - then you are screwed.

Top Bottom