What's new

Fragrances, PIF I won.

When I signed up for this PIF I really didn't think I would win as I'm a very unlucky kind of guy. But what do you know. Thanks to "Deruitem" for giving me this opportunity to enjoy a lot of different fragrances. Part of this PIF was to give my opinion of the different scents of these fragrances. I am new to DE Shaving (2 months) and also fragrance. I never used an aftershave after using the blue plastic razor I've used for years so this was a very new experience for me even though I had been shaving (wrongly) for over 30 years. So my expertise in this is none! I'll do my best to give you my opinion of these scents. They will be short and to the point as I'm not good as writing or talking and have a hard time explaining myself at times. I did look a few of them up as I was completely befuddled when I started but now I'm finding I can notice certain scents and it has been an enjoyable opportunity. I will post two of three times as what he sent me was a lot! So bare with my unexperienced writing and nose...

1. Salamanca, Olympic Orchirds = Earthy, Heavy with a Leathery fragrance. Dusty. Very long lasting. I liked it but it was very strong. Not one I would look for if I was going to buy.

2. Oud Palau, Eau de Parfum = Rose, Vanilla Sandalwood. Light and crisp scent. I did like it but it didn't seem to last very long. And my wife liked it too. Would be something I'd buy.

3. Guerlain, Coriolan = Light, Fruity, Citrus, Crisp. Great scent. Enjoyed it very much. It didn't last for hours but for a while. Seemed like it changed to a woody or leathery light scent after a while. Very enjoyable and would love to purchase it. And the wife enjoyed it too.

4. Paris Hilton, Just me = Citrus, Smokey, and a lot more that was just over my head. Very light fragrance, didn't last very long. It must have a lot of different things in it as I just couldn't pull any certain scents out of it but a mix of lots. It is nice and worth getting in my opinion.

5. Usher, ? = No other name on it that I could find. Couldn't find anything on it on the web either. I hate to say it but NO! It smelled like 100 different scents mixed up and I couldn't tell any of them. I didn't like the scent of this at all. Maybe its for the refined nose but for me I'd stay away from it.

6. Thierry Mugler, A Men = Light, Woody and a great fragrance. I did like it. The wife said it was OK but not great. Website says Patchouli and cedar. This must be something that I like in a scent. I would buy it if I came across it shopping but wouldn't go looking for it.

7. Exceptional, Because you are, for men = Very light scent. Didn't last at all. Couldn't get much out of it as far as a scent. Just didn't even make the list as far as I could tell to be called a fragrance. Sorry to the maker of this one. Can't really comment if I can't tell what it is.

8. Tauer, Lonesome Rider = Smokey, Leather, Pepper, Powdery, Rose. WOW. Got a lot off this one. Started out more of a manly scent with the Smokey leathery scent then started noticing a powdery smell and then the Rose kicked in. So it changes a lot. Very nice stuff for sure. Not too sure I'd want to buy this as I'm not into smelling like Roses or any other kinds of flowers but the way it started was different than any others I've tried and caught me off guard. Very Nice.

This is as far as I've gotten with these fragrances. about 7 or 8 of the bottles I got were empty. Most likely because of the elevation change from where they were sent from, to my place in the Rocky Mountains. 2 I couldn't read as the labels were hand written and the leakage of the liquids took the writing off. I still have 13 more to try out and write up. Hope if you read thru this it might help you to find a fragrance that you enjoy and remember that my nose is unexperienced but I know even now I'm much better at this than when I started.

If you have tried any of these please comment. Let me know if you get the same out of them as me. If you didn't still post up. I will not feel you disrespected any of my comments. Just want to learn more and I know I will.
Thanks for reading.

Looks like good reviews so far. A few of the samples were near empty already so I sent them just for sniffing not wearing really. I hope you find something you enjoy. At least if you keep smelling and looking up the notes you should learn to detect different notes and learn what you like and don't like.
Enjoy!

oh yes. I have sniffed. And I'm starting to find things I like. I had no clue before I started this of what I like but now I'm getting a good clue. Thank you my friend. I will have to make a PIF myself after I get some more time in this Hobby of shaving. I will enjoy helping another person.

Great job on the reviews, Jerry. I've always enjoyed fragrances, but my appreciation of them really grew after spending time on this forum. When I started writing my own thoughts on the scents I tried, it made me pay attention to and learn to identify the different notes. These days, I try to write down my thoughts first, then read what others say about the fragrance. I've found several members here whose tastes seem very close to my own, and when I read about something they really enjoyed, I know I need to sample it. Keep up the smelling and writing, as I look forward to reading more of your opinions.

Top Bottom