What's new

FOURTEENTH ANNUAL One Blade in February Challenge 2023 Edition

OBiF shave #26

Last night's shave was a vacation shave. I brought along my Gillette Goal Super Platinium (26) and loaded it into my usual travel razor: a Gillette tech with a 3D printed Hensen baseplate. I lathered up some Prorasso cream with a Razorock synthetic brush. The baseplate code was posted in the same thread on 3D printed Old Type baseplates that has recently seen some new posts. There also a recent thread on experiences with that baseplate. Personally, I prefer the Hansen baseplate: it gives a good shave, and I don't think I've ever seen blood while using it. The blade didn't cut cleanly on the first pass, particularly around my chin. Still, DFS.

2023-02-26 20.36.29.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Another Other Other One Blade In Fruity February

Last night’s luxury shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb + plastic RIGS shim
Personna GEM PTFE (3)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: Glycerin soap face wash with AP ShaveCo Cashmere and a dollop of aloe vera
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate moisturizer

With the shim and without the shim, I’m still not getting my jawline as close as desired. Neck was closer, but my weeper on the right said I lulled myself into using much more pressure than needed. Upper lip shaved smoother, so that was cool. On the fence. The shim is an improvement, but I use it as an excuse to get lazy with reducing pressure and finding the correct angle for a particular group of whiskers.

Simpson Wee Scot definitely a tremendous latherer. Mine’s very scritchy, so I’d better get good at palm lathering if I’m going to use it without incident.

Scent on the puck of Wickhams lemon pledge Club Cola is fading and more than half a puck remains. It’s not ARKO! or Canada Shaving Soap, but it’s alright.

Muhle/MdC Mondays
Still In GRUME, GRUYERE, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF

PXL_20230227_040952126.jpg

RR Hawk with Feather AC blade #27, Muhle XL STF brush, MdC Rose & orange essential oil

First, this soap is exceptional. The scent is authentic and lingers throughout the shave. Because I am using a slightly "difficult" blade, I wanted a very slick lather. I really was amazed how much water this soap can utilize and still have a rich luxurious effect. A couple drops of orange essential oil added a few tart "joyful" sensations while stirring the lather.

Secondly, if the month had 31 days, I would continue to use the blade in the OBIF challenge. I'm going to keep the blade for future use but I am REALLY missing my DE razors!!! The Feather AC blade does not slice whiskers as well as when new, It feels like there is some scraping cuts also. I can work with that with careful technique.

Third, the Muhle brush - anyone that has the XL STF knows how well it performs.

Tomorrow is the last day of February GRUME, Fruity February and OBIF. For me, the entree will be Orange Essence Tallow Tabac served on a Simpson Trafalgar T3 brush.

Please take care of yourself... and each other.
NOTE: Restraint is starting to feel like a Zen flow day by day.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
OBIF'23 Astra SP (27/28)

Cream: Lucky Tiger Cream Shave
Razor/Blade:
#Head - Maxwell June w/ Astra SP
Face/Neck - Eclipse Red Ring w/ Astra SP (27/28)
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Old spice
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive

full

10/10

Going for my more aggressive razors now. Opened up the Red ring to 5 notches. Super careful and WTG. Only some slight irritation on the neck. Lots of hair pulling. End result was still a really good shave. One more shave with this blade.
Love that vintage Old Spice bottle

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
One Blade in February Challenge
IMG_20230227_115858.jpg

Razor: RR Lupo 95
Blade: Personna Med-Prep(27)
Brush: Muhle Kosmo STF
Soap: MdC Original

Tonight for MdC Monday one of my favourite lathering combinations MdC and the Kosmo. The Lupo is a great compliment to the Med-Prep blade on its 27th shave and is very efficient, I'm getting to enjoy using it. It does help to use a slick soap, and MdC is as slick as they come. The shave was an absolute pleasure and though I am still a little cautious with the Lupo I managed a better shave than last night though still not a BBS (I am not sure I will ever get a BBS from a blade with 27 shaves or more on it though I have never been one to chase the baby)

Date27.02.2023
365 days of shaving59/365 (100%)
GRUYERE59/365 (100%)
GRUME February28/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes3
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E (slanted)
Cheeks R: E-W (slanted)
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N
Neck: S-N (slanted)

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Old Type /w thick capTiger Platinum (11)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashTabac
Proraso Green
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (DFS-)7/10 (Comfortable)

Notes to today’s shave:

Great end to OBiF with a renewed appreciation for the Tiger Platinum. Given the right razor it can perform splendidly. And throughout the month I have had zero irritation or redness with only one or two weepers if I remember correctly (which most likely isn't so). In all I used 3 blades where I was counting on 5 given previous experiences. Just a fine mild blade that gets the job done and if you bin it after 3-4 shaves this could very well be your go-to blade if you want sharpness without harshness.

Thank you @Mike M for hosting this event! I had fun rediscovering my blade and enjoyed all the experiences with some stellar performances. Inspiration for yet more blade acquisitions *LOL*.

Further details and more can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Gillette Perma-Sharp (28th use)

Made it to the end! The blade doesn't look too shabby all things considered...

IMG_20230228_092753179~2.jpg

The main thing I've learnt from this OBIF challenge is that tossing a blade simply because I've used it an arbitrary number of times is just silly. In all likelihood, the blade has many a good shave left in it.

Tuesday February 28 - OBiF shave #16

R41/SLOC
Gillette Nacet (16)
Yaqi Sagrada Familia
LEA shave stick
Stirling Arkadia

IMG-5037_4387 (2).jpg

Last shave in February. The blade felt a little bit smoother today but will be tossed anyway.
Been on holiday the whole month so not as many shaves as usual.

Gillette Perma-Sharp (28th use)

Made it to the end! The blade doesn't look too shabby all things considered...

View attachment 1613258

The main thing I've learnt from this OBIF challenge is that tossing a blade simply because I've used it an arbitrary number of times is just silly. In all likelihood, the blade has many a good shave left in it.
In part you have your Fatip to thank as well. My experience this OBiF is that it makes any blade perform almost no matter what. Only topped by the Gillette Old Type this month.

Guido

OBIF'23 Astra SP (28/28)

Cream: Lucky Tiger Cream Shave
Razor/Blade:
Head - Mach 3 w/ Astra SP
Face/Neck - Canadian Bulldog w/ Astra SP (28/28)
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Pitralon
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive
full

10/10

What a perfect shave to end this OBIF! I just got this Canadian Bulldog in yesterday and oh my goodness it shaves just as beautifully as it looks. Unless you don't like how it looks...

WTG and super light touch. Came out with only minor irritation on the right side of the neck and some hair tugging. Otherwise, dang the bulldog is efficient and very much like shaving with my #164 goodwill but with a much better handle. It maybe just slightly more aggressive but hard to say with a single shave on a dead blade.

Looking forward to a new blade tomorrow.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Another Other Other One Blade In Fruity February

Last night’s luxury shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (4)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: Glycerin soap face wash with AP ShaveCo Cashmere and a dollop of aloe vera
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, palm-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate moisturizer

Tried placing the cap flat on my skin and pushing slightly to raise the whiskers to the blade. My lack of practice was evident in some razor burn and a weeper on the right side of my neck. Whiskers on the left side of my moustache seemed tougher than normal. Used a little gusto to earn a second weeper under my left nostril. Despite the hazards risked (and experienced) with ineptitude, fun was restored to my shave.

Palm lathering my scritchy fun brush went easier than I expected. Suspecting I’ll have a great shave this evening.

(🍊) Tallow Tabac Tuesdays!
The Completion Of Fruity February and OBIF Challenge
Still In GRUME, Gruyere & 365 Shaves...

PXL_20230227_170353264.jpg

Feather DX with Feather AC blade #28, (orange) Tallow Tabac & Simpson Trafalgar T3

Hey Guys
It has been a very good month in Fruity February and the OBIF challenge. Since I only have two razors that use an Artist Club blade, it has been a 'restraintful' month not using DE razors. I surprised myself choosing the DX kamisori today.
Thanks to @Mike M and @Time Bandit for sponsoring the threads.

Today's menu entree had rare vintage Tallow Tabac seasoned with essence of orange' 🍊 served on a Simpson T3 brush. After the main course, I enjoyed a soothing combination of balms and moisturizers and Davidoff Cool Water for desert. It was a delightful end of month DFS affair.

Most important, does anyone have news about our beloved Brandon, @FoolishMortal ???

Tomorrow many of us begin a new month of GRUMEing and continue GRUYEREing. 🥂

Please take care of yourself...and each other...Onward!

RazoRock German 37
Gillette Perma-Sharp (31)
RazoRock 'Son of Zeus'
Omega Jade (011842)

20230223_145351.jpg

I am quite satisfied with the blade's performance this month and plan to finish the week with it for a total of 35 shaves.

Thank you @Mike M for organizing this event and to all those who participated and/or provided positive contributions.

Be well and stay safe

In part you have your Fatip to thank as well. My experience this OBiF is that it makes any blade perform almost no matter what. Only topped by the Gillette Old Type this month.

Guido
I wholeheartedly agree - the Fatip OC head is a bit of a marvel!

Until now I just assumed that the lifespan of a blade was fairly consistent across all razors... Apparently not 🙂

At least now I have a better understanding of the razors that prefer a newer blade (e.g. R41, 3One6 and Progress) and which razors give me a great shave no matter how crapped out the blade is (e.g. Piccolo, 42C and Futur).

Top Bottom