What's new

Found my Dad's Gillette Slim Adjustable from 1965.

Just found it, it is gold plated. The story behind it is that my uncle went to South Africa in 1965 and got it as a gift for my dad who was living in India. I remember seeing it a long time ago and then it disappeared somewhere. I asked my mom to see if she could find it and she did.
I just started cleaning it. The base plate is somewhat fixed. It doesn't go up and down with adjustment but the dial does click. I can move it to 9 and the baseplate goes all the way up but it doesn't come down when at 1. I have soaked it cleaned it. Currently I have it soaked in oil. I'll leave it overnight. Tomorrow hopefully, I'll be able to free up the adjustment and post pictures tomorrow.

That is what it looks like but not as shiny. Even if I can't restore it myself, I might send it somewhere to get it taken apart and fixed.

Congrats on finding your father's razor. I hope you get it working. My father has always used an electric razor, so I'll never know your joy.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Awesome. It'll be nice to see some pics once you're able to post some tomorrow. If it's lost it's luster, you could always get it re-plated on top of getting it fixed.

Wish I had my father's razors. His went into deep storage when he went electric in the late '60s. Best of luck getting yours back into service.

Donno if soaking in oil is a good idea. Personally I would have tried a soak in hot water & Dawn ( or something similar) for about a week. Changing the water a few times a day

You should fully disassemble the razor, clean and recondition it with a SMALL amount of oil. Soaking it in oil could cause issues for the plating. I watched a video posted on another thread of a gentleman here who shows you step by step how to disassemble and assemble the razor. There could be something inside the razor that is causing the issues you are seeing.

Ok so soaking in coconut oil did not do anything to the finish. There is some plating wear but that was there before I did anything. It is looser now. I was going to try that gunk spray. I'd spray on a cue tip and then apply the cue tip to the barrel.

$IMG_0931.jpg$IMG_0932[1].jpg

The plate does go up and the adjustment wheel does click but it doesn't fall to gravity. I will be able to use it as it is now and am a little afraid to send it because I can use it as it is now. Also, my father is alive and well and he thought I was going to sell it but he laughed when I told him no way.

Attachments

• $IMG_0931[1].jpg
    $IMG_0931[1].jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I soaked in soap and water overnight and that seemed to loosen it a little. I was so excited when my mom gave it to me that I forgot to take before pictures. It was really bad though.

Top Bottom