What's new

Found me a Fatboy! (pic heavy)

While I was at the local flea-slash-farmer's market this morning, I decided to have a browse around and see who had razors. I saw three... what must've been a Gillette travel of some sort, one I couldn't identify (I didn't have the booth owner get it out) and what I think was another Fatboy. Then in one booth I found this.

I'm a sucker for stuff that's vintage, so at 12 bucks it had to come home with me.

2nd-quarter '61 (G2) Fatboy, as it turns out. I don't see any brassing but I'll know better once I have the gunk cleaned off (the yellowish tint in some of the pics is the lighting, not the razor). Came with the case (which, as you can see, could also use a scrub) and some blades (one still in the chamber-- now tucked away in the area for the "used" blades).

I'm still planning on getting a new EJ DE89L as well, but we'll see which I like better down the road. Which do you recommend starting out with?

Very cool (I'm such a geek. :) )

$DSCN0019.jpg

$DSCN0022.jpg

$DSCN0024.jpg

$DSCN0032.jpg

$DSCN0031.jpg

That's a huge score. Looks like it will clean up very nice..... then the value will triple two times over! Congratulations!

Ben

Congrats! I had similar luck myself yesterday. It's always exciting finding a nice razor like this tucked away in a shop. Truth be told, it's still pretty exciting when they aren't this nice!

Nice- just went through an antique centre here today- one crappy DE razor, marked at A$75. Dreaming of finding a Fatboy like that one!

Thanks, everyone! (Just realized I probably should've posted this in one of the score threads, but somehow totally missed that section when I went looking for such a thing.)

I figured with the case and vintage blades, 12 bucks was a great price (my mum, with whom I'd gone to the flea market, said "You paid 12 dollars for this?" I told her, "I'm pretty sure I should've paid more, actually."). I can't wait to get it all scrubbed up.

a bit of light cleaning and polishing and that will look like the day it was made, what a score, i wish we had flea markets and junk stores like that in the uk.

Very nice find, Fatboys are awesome and at 50-$70 "Without Case" on ebay they are a steal, for something no longer made, all brass, nickel plated, Adjustable, also TTO, you can pay that alone for a Merkur 3 piece Modern and Merkur's are pot metal and not adjustable and also isnt Vintage like the FatBoy, and you got your's for a Steal. Nice find for sure :eek:)

Dont let anyone tell you, you over paid for Fatboy Because they arent looking at the big picture :eek:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom