What's new

Found a very old Gillette razor

So I recently found this old little shaver for sale online. I noticed someone's been trying to sell it for a good while without success and the price went down from the original ~$50(approximate because of different currency) to ~$12 so it was safe to presume they found it in the attic or basement and wanted to get some pocket change instead of throwing it in the trash. Contacted the owner, bough it the same day and here's what I have so far:
If my research is correct, this is a 1920 Gillette Pocket Edition. The cap is mostly silver but the handle is bronze probably due to oxidation. It has a thin crack on the handle (4th picture) but it does not affect the structure and that seems to be common on these types. The "neck" part of the handle comes off (5th picture, I assume this is not by design)but if held while removing the cap it works fine. It's around 8cm in length and weighs 49g. Haven't used it yet but would love to try it, especially since I never used an open comb razor before and would love to experience it the way our grandfathers did.
It's possible that I got the model wrong so you're welcome to correct me. Also, I am open to any suggestions for restoring it to its former glory.
Conclusion: Proof of quality being the priority back in the day. A century cannot stop this bad boy. Glad to have such a great peace of history in the collection. Cheers gents!
20200706_185115.jpg
20200706_185133.jpg
20200706_185159.jpg
20200706_185226.jpg
20200706_185241.jpg

R

romsitsa

Hello, it’s a 102a or thick head Old type, produced after the original Gillette patents expired. The British factory in Leicester was liquidated during ww1 and the new factory, in Slough, went into production in early 1921, so this is the earliest possible date, the latest being 1929-30.
The head is most likely nickel plated, the handle was possibly silver.
For the set, it could be a pocket set, but there were many-many sets with the very same razor, it’s impossible to tell without the case or shipper.
For cleaning use an ultrasonic cleaner, or soak the razor in undilluted dishwashing liquid then add hot water, scrub with a toothbrush. Repeat till satisfied. For polishing use any polish (silver, chrome, brass, automotive) you prefer. For disinfection any disinfectant will do.
Then load a blade and check wether it’s straight or bent. If it bends the blade, make a few photos and check back.
If straight, give it a go.
If the handle will bother you, solder it in, just don’t use glue.

Adam

Hello, it’s a 102a or thick head Old type, produced after the original Gillette patents expired. The British factory in Leicester was liquidated during ww1 and the new factory, in Slough, went into production in early 1921, so this is the earliest possible date, the latest being 1929-30.
The head is most likely nickel plated, the handle was possibly silver.
For the set, it could be a pocket set, but there were many-many sets with the very same razor, it’s impossible to tell without the case or shipper.
For cleaning use an ultrasonic cleaner, or soak the razor in undilluted dishwashing liquid then add hot water, scrub with a toothbrush. Repeat till satisfied. For polishing use any polish (silver, chrome, brass, automotive) you prefer. For disinfection any disinfectant will do.
Then load a blade and check wether it’s straight or bent. If it bends the blade, make a few photos and check back.
If straight, give it a go.
If the handle will bother you, solder it in, just don’t use glue.

Adam
Thanks for the info. It means a lot :)

Hello all, could you help me identify razor (Gillette?) on the pictures below? Sorry for bad qulity, not my pictures... :)
IMG_20200714_193347.jpgIMG_20200714_193406.jpg

Thanks! Aluminium... then it should be cleaned and repaired (looks like the safety bar is bended a little) quite easy, don`t you think?

R

romsitsa

The cap is zamak, this and the trheads are weak points. The rest is easy, as you wrote.

Adam

As you said, handle and base plate is aluminium, top cap is zamak.
After quick straightening and wire brushing those aluminium parts now look quite good, threads on top cap are like new, but plating is not in great condition at all. It's super comfortable shaver, but with 76mm and 26g quite shorter and a lot lighter razor that I'm used to.
IMG_20200717_121652.jpgIMG_20200717_121721_1.jpg

Just a quick update. I managed to restore the old guy to a satisfying degree which can be seen in the improvised pictures below. The restoration included: toothbrush scrubbing in hot water and dish soap(not very effective), 3 baths in hot water and baking soda and finally a bath in white vinegar and baking soda(these baths made all the difference). As for the shaves; this is my first time using an open comb razor and I can say it is A LOT more aggressive than my go to Super Speed for example. The first shave was fantastic because I had about a weeks worth of beard, cleaned it right off. My blades of choice are Sputnik which felt a bit too aggressive on the second shave because it was only 1 day worth or whiskers so I switched to a bit milder Gillette Platinum. After a few shaves I'm getting the hang of it and it's an excellent little shaver that requires a bit of practice if you plan on shaving every morning with it. Glad to have it in the arsenal. Cheers
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-30 at 14.50.18.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-30 at 14.50.19.jpeg

Top Bottom