What's new

Forgive me for what must be a frequent question, but best "room note"?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Plus, tobaccos seem to be discontinued and introduced at a dizzying pace. And I'm more of a cigar guy than a pipe guy.

But it's getting chillier up north and I have to get the wife's permission about what I can smoke in a pipe in the house. Or I don't smoke it. Come on, most of you are married, you get it. :001_rolle Don't give me grief.

I know what I like, heavy English, have a ton of them, don't need suggestions there, I just cannot smoke them inside. And I move from cigars to pipe around now because I don't like smoking in a winter coat and hat. So this is not about what I like, but what she will tolerate (and I won't positively hate).

So the last stuff SWMBO liked and let me smoke inside in the winter was a "blend" I made of a 12 oz tin of Lane's Captain Black Original mixed with a tin of Sutliff's Molto Dolce mixed into it. And I'm out.

So without regard to what I may like (again, I don't need any help there, I know what I like, I just can't smoke it at home), what do you guys recommend for an indoor winter smoke a finicky wife will allow me to smoke? Thanks in advance.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You can try mixing maybe 20% of a strong aromatic into your lat blend to see if it helps with the room note. Molto Dolce would probably work well with an English IMO.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
An English with a great room note is a tall order. I agree that you probably need to look at some crossover blends. If you are from PA, one to sample might be Boswell Northwoods. Even then, the muted Latakia note might still be too much for some.

Otherwise, one of the best room note blends that still tastes like tobacco and not a candy store is still tried and true SWRA. Women uniformly love the aroma of it.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If you want an English with a good room note, try Two Friends English Chocolate.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
This has morphed. I DO NOT want an English, I did not ask for an English with a nice room note. I said I gave up on them and am just looking for something solely for the wife so that I get permission to smoke inside. Nice try on adding something to an English to “tone it down” but doesn’t work. Tried it. Won’t fly.

The Captain Black original with Molto Dolce works so I’m not in “need” of a solution, I was looking for some ideas that may be in that direction but better, before I reload that. Thanks! All suggestions should steer well clear of any English types. Unfortunately. :sad:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Have you tried Lane 1Q? It’s the best selling aromatic for a reason. My wife also likes the aroma of Rattrays Exotic Passion, MacBaren Vanilla Roll Cake, and good old Prince Albert (and the various match blends of this).

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Have you tried Lane 1Q? It’s the best selling aromatic for a reason. My wife also likes the aroma of Rattrays Exotic Passion, MacBaren Vanilla Roll Cake, and good old Prince Albert (and the various match blends of this).
Thank you! I will try 1Q. Haven't bought any pipe tobacco in a few years, I'll have to get back in the game.

I thought Prince Albert was discontinued a few years ago?

I will try the others you mention, also, thanks very much!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thanks to the other who recommended some Mac Barren, I seem to recall those are acceptable to her, as well.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Prince Albert seems to be back! Hmmm. I have been out of it for a while.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Prince Albert seems to be back! Hmmm. I have been out of it for a while.

PA was my daily for many years. Most women like its room note, in a pipey, 'grandpa' kind of way. PA has been back for several months, but it is now made in the DR. I've never smoked the DR stuff. And it is a tub buy only right now (other than perhaps 4noggins, who may still offer a 2 oz bulk sample), so you better like whatever the DR version is. I know steveclarkus has been puffing away on it lately, and perhaps he can tell you how the new version behaves.

I would still sample a pouch of SWRA, as it is barely an aromatic (a mid-Century blend when toppings were more judiciously applied), and uses very nice base leaf under STG. Smokes well above its weight (better than several aromatics already mentioned IMO) and you can smoke it all day long. And women go nuts over it for some reason. Terrific tin note, too. If your wife doesn't like SWRA, she won't like anything.

But if you are hell-bent on a MacBaren with wife appeal, then you can never go wrong with Mixture Scottish.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I'm not hell bent on anything, except making the SWMBO happy! :lol: What is SWRA? Thanks.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thanks. I did not know the "grampa classics" or whatever they are called--"codger blends" maybe? were so popular with the ladies, I will check them out.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Thanks. I did not know the "grampa classics" or whatever they are called--"codger blends" maybe? were so popular with the ladies, I will check them out.
Some are, some are not. SWRA and Half & Half are the two that probably have the nicest room notes (men favor H&H for some reason). Old PA and SWR rarely offend anyone. They are mild and agreeable classics. What today keeps newer pipe smokers from discovering them is mainly snobbery and the easy flavor orgy of modern aromatics. They don’t come in little square tins from England or Germany. They often come from the supermarket across from the interstate. But when they do finally get discovered, it is usually quite the eye-opener. Especially if the smoker has avoided them for decades based on a false stigma.

And at the cost of a pouch, the downside risk is minimal.

I smoke nice English and limited run blends, too. Fancy German flakes, and all the other wine cellar types. Some Boswell hyperaromatics, too (around Christmas). These are filet minion blends. But who can eat filet minion everyday? If I smoked Nightcap all day everyday, I’m not sure food would taste right anymore. Everybody likes a simple egg and cup of coffee most mornings. It’s the same with pipe tobacco and me.

These old OTCs you can smoke all day long, they don’t cost too much, they scratch the itch, and they make everyone nearby happy, too. Although a $43 tub of SWRA is not exactly low end weed anymore.

I think you will find something that makes Mrs. JC very happy. It’s aromatherapy during a cold dank winter.

Top Bottom