What's new

Footwear of the Day

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
@AimlessWanderer

Sounds like the Padders did a number on you. 😳

Yeah, but I'm blaming myself, not them.

Whether it was some give in the leather or in the laces, I should have worn thicker socks with shoes so young, or even picked a safer shoe for yesterday's travels. With so many new shoes this year, few are bedded in sufficiently for the miles and hills I faced yesterday.

The better news is that they were sufficiently well cushioned, and while I lost skin on the heels, the knees and lower back were fine. If it hadn't been for them loosening up after a couple of miles, I would have been just fine.

I am sitting outside my travel trailer at the beach. It's about 55F. I am warming my Merrell's by the propane campfire.

20211027_222537.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Feet still very sore, but had to nip out for some essentials. The Hotter Rowans got me to the end of the street and back in relative comfort. A little extra soreness, but wounds not reopened.

20211028_171838.jpg

Merrell Jungle Mocs (Gunsmoke). I'm retired and these have been my spring-fall shoe for 8 years. They are the most comfortable slip-on/loafer I have ever owned. I have a neuroma in one foot, so I usually buy a wide shoe or half-size up. With slip-ons, one shoe was always too loose, so I avoided them. I bought the Mocs at a Merrell store an hour away. I don't think they came in wide, and the guy talked me into going down a half size from my usual. I drove home from the store thinking I was going to regret this purchase, but the guy knew his stuff. The fit was perfect.​

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
So the New Balance 515 pictured above were worn today. Tonight, I changed to the Alden All-Weather Walkers when Mrs. Gold and I headed out to dinner. I knew it was going to rain so no suede or Shell Cordovan.

It was a light rain before dinner but a torrential downpour afterwards. Mrs. Gold asked if I wanted to get the car while she remained dry and warm in the restaurant 🙄😉😀

“Of course, honey” I muttered while gearing up to make a run between the raindrops to the parking lot.

Here are some before and after shots:

Before dinner…
F3D9F356-C43B-4CA9-8130-11C02336BFFE.jpeg

After dinner.
8BEDC66F-C0A3-4E71-9FF6-5C3F32F92D28.jpeg

I wiped them down and inserted shoe trees and will leave them out to dry. Let’s see how they look they look tomorrow.

As for Mrs. Gold… she’s still adorable. 😀

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So the New Balance 515 pictured above were worn today. Tonight, I changed to the Alden All-Weather Walkers when Mrs. Gold and I headed out to dinner. I knew it was going to rain so no suede or Shell Cordovan.

It was a light rain before dinner but a torrential downpour afterwards. Mrs. Gold asked if I wanted to get the car while she remained dry and warm in the restaurant 🙄😉😀

“Of course, honey” I muttered while gearing up to make a run between the raindrops to the parking lot.

Here are some before and after shots:

Before dinner…
View attachment 1354543

After dinner.
View attachment 1354544

As for Mrs. Gold… she’s still adorable. 😀
With a line like that last sentence brother, you are GOLDEN!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Uppers made a nice recovery from last night’s soaking. The leather tips on the soles got a coat of Saphir’s Sole Guard which is Saphir’s natural leather sole oil to keep the leather nourished and to protect them from the elements the next time out. :thumbup1:

After all, these shoes get worn in “all-weather” now don’t they? :yesnod:

Take care of your shoes and they will take care of you. :cool:
572DF5EB-142F-4484-A634-13FDBAB72617.jpeg
F71AE927-6766-47A1-82D5-2553ECFD50CC.jpeg
FC6FCBE5-B705-48C3-A9BD-090D6DCC0C9D.jpeg

Aside from the Alden AWWs helping me get through the high winds and driving rain last night, the MA-1 Bomber Jacket from Alpha Industries (in Replica Blue) made its maiden voyage as well as my trusty “Peaky” cap from Boston Scally which all worked great to keep me pretty dry.
A0446571-C987-4B9F-9BB8-15A30B7D6E03.jpeg

@luvmysuper

This jacket is the real deal. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Those Alden’s look very nice. I wonder how they came up with the idea of a leather front to the sole? It looks good though.
Purely a guess on my part but perhaps the leather front gives a “cleaner/smoother” finish to the front of the shoe rather than the “frayed” look as the crepe becomes worn.

Someone else may have a better answer, if not, the correct answer.
B52C49EF-5A11-4FDC-9B14-25E815597AFE.jpeg

In the interests of boosting the number of posts, I decided to take one for the team and change shoes for the evening dinner out. AE Dundee 2 chukkas in bourbon shell cordovan.

ED8F908C-C546-406C-90D2-3461DA635A48.jpeg

Top Bottom