What's new

First time with a Gold Dollar

Or should I say Gold Dolla??

But hot daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, for 10 bucks it might be one of the best blades I've ever bought. The scales are thin and flimsy, and if you run your fingers closely enough on the bottom, you can feel blade, and they have no wedge.

But wait a minute... the scales aren't falling apart, they seem relatively stable, and they are a nice shade of Emerald green. Some might say they're trashy, but they stay!

It wasn't even all that difficult to hone, just a bit more time on the heel and enough time to completely obliterate the factory edge in favor of one of my own and it was good to go. :thumbup:

View attachment 111897

The only thing I wish were that the 108 could take an edge equal to the one that that 100 took. The 108 is more my size, and has half decent scales (though they aren't as purdy). It took a decent edge too, but not as good as this one. I think... I haven't shaved with it yet.

The 108 that I tried took a pretty nice edge too. The weird thing is that they haven't held up quite as well as my other razors. They were definitely serviceable, though.

I've currently got 3 GD's! :001_smile

My first, a #208 was honed by Bart and I've had about 10 shaves with it and it still feels nice and smooth and gives me a nice clean shave...I haven't killed the edge with my newbie stropping yet, so hopefully they will hold an edge better than a lot of folk fear.

The other 2, a #777 "Gold Monkey" and a #108, also seem pretty decent (apart from the 777's scales, details here), I'm probably going to leave the 108 as it is and the Gold Monkey's getting a face-lift at the moment! They're going to be my first 2 honing projects, so I'll keep you posted :001_smile

Glad i read this as i have gd on the way.

For the price, you certainly get pretty good value for money (IMHO) and if you're learning to hone it's not the end of the world if you make a mess of it! :thumbup1:

The 108 that I tried took a pretty nice edge too. The weird thing is that they haven't held up quite as well as my other razors. They were definitely serviceable, though.

Well, you've got some really high end stuff so the comparisons might not be 100 percent fair :lol:.

But I know where you're coming from with this. I have no idea about how long the edge will stay it's best, but any excuse to break out the hones again is a good excuse IMO. Win win :thumbup:.

Top Bottom