What's new

First straight shave

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Ok, another day and another straight shave. My progress is coming along quite well, I can now do my cheeks, and one side of my neck really well WTG. However, the other side of my neck, has me completely bamboozled. :mad3:

I'm right handed, and the left side of my neck is the problem area. I can't contort my arm any further without either dislocating a shoulder or simply breaking it to get to the far left side of my neck. When I try my other hand, well thats just asking for decapitation. I try different grips, the other grip that provides some benefit is simply straightening the blade and scales out, similar to a weishi I guess, but I wouldn't say its effective.

I've flaunted with ATG, and XTG however with no luck. Can anyone offer any advice on how to break through this? Also for those who have come from DE shaving to a straight, can you tell me if you had to change your shaving passes+direction because of restrictions the straight blade presented?

I think it's going well Tom!

All right, first thing first. You can shave both side using your right hand or both hands, up to you. I find it easier to use both hands and at first, it feels strange. That's something that you will need to pratice.

For ATG/XTG, take it slow. It's not dramatic if you're unable to do it right now, eventually you will be. When you feel ready do it, otherwise, wait.

If you didn't see this already, have a look at how you could hold your straight.

http://www.straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Different_ways_to_hold_a_straight_razor

There isn't any good way or bad way, what works for you is best, that page helped me a lot.

If you want to push it a bit further, try to open the straight and make contact with the spine. Being careful not to cut yourself, of course.

I think it's going well Tom!

All right, first thing first. You can shave both side using your right hand or both hands, up to you. I find it easier to use both hands and at first, it feels strange. That's something that you will need to pratice.

For ATG/XTG, take it slow. It's not dramatic if you're unable to do it right now, eventually you will be. When you feel ready do it, otherwise, wait.

If you didn't see this already, have a look at how you could hold your straight.

http://www.straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Different_ways_to_hold_a_straight_razor

There isn't any good way or bad way, what works for you is best, that page helped me a lot.

If you want to push it a bit further, try to open the straight and make contact with the spine. Being careful not to cut yourself, of course.

Hey,

Thanks Luc. :thumbup1: I've printed the SRP wiki page you refer to and it sits on my bathroom bench with the stroping guidelines. Crazy huh?

I guess it just takes more practice, but it' so damn frustrating! :angry:
So close yet so far. The other side I'm proficient with is great and I get a real thrill because I can do it without any problems.

I'll just keep persisting, I can't give this up its great fun. Its like golf, you love the game, but man throw in a few bad shots and you're steamed. :biggrin1:

Luc

Staff member
Hey,

Thanks Luc. :thumbup1: I've printed the SRP wiki page you refer to and it sits on my bathroom bench with the stroping guidelines. Crazy huh?

So close yet so far. The other side I'm proficient with is great and I get a real thrill because I can do it without any problems.

I'll just keep persisting, I can't give this up its great fun. Its like golf, you love the game, but man throw in a few bad shots and you're steamed. :biggrin1:

Yes, take some time but you will get there! Good luck!

Well after having trouble with the left side of my neck, I decided to go back to the tape (video's). Watched and watched and realized last night, 'f*** it, I'm going to have to learn to shave with my left hand'. Got it in my head and set myself to have a go tomorrow morning (this morning). Stropped my blade in preparation for the event before going to bed.

Well, I thought I would take it head on. I normally start with the right side of my face, but went left side, left hand, big breath and here we go.

Well....drum roll please...........da daaaa :thumbup: It worked, I did it!! That just set me up for the most comfortable 3 x pass (WTG, 2x XTG) straight shave I've had since I started. Once I got that first stroke out of the way, it was amazing just how naturally the rest of the shave on the left side came using my left hand. With each subsequent stroke it was easy and free flowing and I found myself being able to pull the skin taut and adjust my face accordingly to get the best angle. I feel like superman this morning, unbelievable. :biggrin1:

I've just started my second week of straight shaving, I knew after my second shave I was hooked, and after this morning shave it's confirmed. I'm a straight shaver. :thumbup1:

With that, the next frontier is ATG. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Well after having trouble with the left side of my neck, I decided to go back to the tape (video's). Watched and watched and realized last night, 'f*** it, I'm going to have to learn to shave with my left hand'. Got it in my head and set myself to have a go tomorrow morning (this morning). Stropped my blade in preparation for the event before going to bed.

Well, I thought I would take it head on. I normally start with the right side of my face, but went left side, left hand, big breath and here we go.

Well....drum roll please...........da daaaa :thumbup: It worked, I did it!! That just set me up for the most comfortable 3 x pass (WTG, 2x XTG) straight shave I've had since I started. Once I got that first stroke out of the way, it was amazing just how naturally the rest of the shave on the left side came using my left hand. With each subsequent stroke it was easy and free flowing and I found myself being able to pull the skin taut and adjust my face accordingly to get the best angle. I feel like superman this morning, unbelievable. :biggrin1:

I've just started my second week of straight shaving, I knew after my second shave I was hooked, and after this morning shave it's confirmed. I'm a straight shaver. :thumbup1:

With that, the next frontier is ATG. I'll keep you posted.

Good work Tom!!:a14:

Hey,

Yeah, but just think of that beautiful iron shot that drops two feet from the hole on the 18th. Keeps you coming back.:biggrin1:

Luc

Staff member
Thanks mate. How much fun is this? I love it.

It's pretty good. Then you will try a larger blade, a smaller blade, a spike point, a French point... It's endless! :tongue_sm I'm on the Spanish point at the moment!

Ok, another week another update. I've been successfully doing a 3 pass shave with my straight (WTG, 2 x ATG), with good results. However I haven't been quite comfortable enough going ATG, and I've had to finish off shaves with my DE.

I'd been attempting ATG passes during the week, however struggled. It was very similar to when I first started on my neck, the blade would jump or skip and trying to find a comfortable grip and that elusive angle was driving me nuts!! :cursing:

On Sunday, I decided to purchase some baby oil for my blade, and while shaving thought I would put a bit on my face while attempting an ATG pass to see if it would help. It helped me experiment to find that elusive angle, although I didn't find it, the attempt was much better as the baby oil provided a bit of cushioning without the blade skipping or jumping and my face didn't look as though I'd shaved with a cheese grater. I tried a few more times, and at least found a comfortable grip.

This morning I got up, and started my normal shave. WTG, XTG, and then I thought, I'll go ATG. Yep, you guessed it I found that elsuive angle, and not just on one side of my face, both. :w00t: So today, I have found nirvana, although it wasn't BBS, I did have a DFS, and didn't require my DE to finish off my shave. Needless to say the rest of my day is going to be awesome even if i get fired, and lose a leg.

With some more practice and refinement, I think a BBS might not be too far away. :thumbup:

Luc

Staff member
Ok, another week another update. I've been successfully doing a 3 pass shave with my straight (WTG, 2 x ATG), with good results. However I haven't been quite comfortable enough going ATG, and I've had to finish off shaves with my DE.

I'd been attempting ATG passes during the week, however struggled. It was very similar to when I first started on my neck, the blade would jump or skip and trying to find a comfortable grip and that elusive angle was driving me nuts!! :cursing:

On Sunday, I decided to purchase some baby oil for my blade, and while shaving thought I would put a bit on my face while attempting an ATG pass to see if it would help. It helped me experiment to find that elusive angle, although I didn't find it, the attempt was much better as the baby oil provided a bit of cushioning without the blade skipping or jumping and my face didn't look as though I'd shaved with a cheese grater. I tried a few more times, and at least found a comfortable grip.

This morning I got up, and started my normal shave. WTG, XTG, and then I thought, I'll go ATG. Yep, you guessed it I found that elsuive angle, and not just on one side of my face, both. :w00t: So today, I have found nirvana, although it wasn't BBS, I did have a DFS, and didn't require my DE to finish off my shave. Needless to say the rest of my day is going to be awesome even if i get fired, and lose a leg.

With some more practice and refinement, I think a BBS might not be too far away. :thumbup:

Good work Tom! :thumbup1:

Nice! Sounds like things are going well.

If you get fired, just make sure you don't get in an accident that takes away your shaving hand.

I cheat, sort of, and only do a two-pass+touchup shave. One WTG pass and one XTG, then touch up a little along the jawline under the ear.

Luc

Staff member
I cheat, sort of, and only do a two-pass+touchup shave. One WTG pass and one XTG, then touch up a little along the jawline under the ear.

Touch-up is not cheating... :001_smile

Since I've started I've struggled with certain passes, it took me a while to learn ATG, which I'm beginning to master. I can comfortably perform a three pass shave WTG, XTG (Nose to ear) and ATG, however one pass I'm really struggling with is going from ear to nose on my neck. :mad3:

Does anyone have any advice on how I can approach this, especially with grips. I can hold the blade ambidextrously. I find that trying to get a flat surface for the blades to travel is quite difficult because of the contour of my neck.

Any advice or tips would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance

Luc

Staff member
Since I've started I've struggled with certain passes, it took me a while to learn ATG, which I'm beginning to master. I can comfortably perform a three pass shave WTG, XTG (Nose to ear) and ATG, however one pass I'm really struggling with is going from ear to nose on my neck. :mad3:

Does anyone have any advice on how I can approach this, especially with grips. I can hold the blade ambidextrously. I find that trying to get a flat surface for the blades to travel is quite difficult because of the contour of my neck.

Any advice or tips would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance

When I do that one, I do it the other way around. For the left side of my face, I use my right hand. Right side, left hand. I find it easier to pull the razor than pushing it.

Of course, I look up and to the left if I'm doing the right side to stretch the skin a bit.

Top Bottom