What's new

first straight razor.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I'd recommend starting with older razors in good shape so you can - at a much cheaper price - identify what you like in terms of blade shape, tang style/shape, heavy or hollow grinds, etc. once you know, you can buy a new one with a better idea that you will be happy with it.

Cheers, Steve

Do you recommend vintage, or new?

For me it is a preference thing. Do you see yourself wanting to go the vintage route or do you see yourself wanting to go the new route? Razors both vintage and new were/are constructed to shave a face. My face can rarely tell the difference between a newer Dovo and a hundred year old razor. The beauty of this hobby is that you can be an individual no matter what choice you make, otherwise you would stick with cartridge razors. The BST is always a good starting point as is the vendor area. There always seems to be a good mix of older and newer brands, so the choice is yours.

I'd recommend starting with older razors in good shape so you can - at a much cheaper price - identify what you like in terms of blade shape, tang style/shape, heavy or hollow grinds, etc. once you know, you can buy a new one with a better idea that you will be happy with it.

Cheers, Steve

Exactly what I was thinking. Here's the obligatory link to Whipped Dog: http://whippeddog.com .

Top Bottom