What's new

First Straight Razor Shave

I just finished up my first straight razor shave, after a few years of DE shaves. I got a 5/8 Ralf Aust round point as my first razor. Shaved great out of the box ( i have nothing else to compare it to though lol). I didn’t even strop, in fear of messing up the edge. No cuts or irritation. I did however save my last pass (ATG) for my DE, just until I get more comfortable. But there was barely anything left for the ATG pass, I was amazed and am glad I made the transition. Just wanted to share.

Congrats!!! Keep at it , but always remember to make sure it is properly honed ( most razors aren’t shave ready out of the box, regardless of there claims ) also you always want to strop your razor pre and post shave , but I’m sure the experts will chime in with a bit more detail for you .

Happy shaves !!

Congrats!!! Keep at it , but always remember to make sure it is properly honed ( most razors aren’t shave ready out of the box, regardless of there claims ) also you always want to strop your razor pre and post shave , but I’m sure the experts will chime in with a bit more detail for you .

Happy shaves !!
Thank you sir. I got the razor from Maggards and it said “professionally honed”. I’m not sure who hones their razors though.

@Psusocr
I was hoping that was the case and I didn’t just get lucky. As I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between properly honed or not. It did cut quite effortlessly, now we’ll see how it goes after stropping.

Getting into a good pre and post shave stropping routine is very key to a perfect shave ! Hopefully some experts will chime in for you as well and share their routines . I personally strop 40 laps before I shave on leather. Post shave I will strop 15 laps on linen and 40 more laps on leather .

Top Bottom