What's new

First straight razor shave

I won a GD straight over in this PIF (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-into-straight-shaving-just-to-*try*-it-PIF-1) and gave it a shave last night. I haven't watched any videos or tried to do any learning, I just went at it.

My Semogue 1520, GD straight and La Toja Manantiales smashed in my lather bowl.
proxy.php

I shaved my sideburns, cheeks, under my chin and the left side of my neck WTG with no problem. I got to shaving the other side of my neck and couldn't figure out how to use my right hand to shave the right side of my neck. Moved onto my chin, tugged like crazy so I put the straight down for the day and picked up my DE. Overall it went well. From the straight I moved right onto ATG and had a smooth face when I woke up today.

So moving forward I need to learn to strop, what to do with the lather when I shave (i.e. wipe the razor or run it under water) I thought I heard not to rinse somewhere along the way, do i need to put an oil on the blade after every shave to keep from rusting? and need to probably learn to use both hands. Thanks B&B for keeping me in a constant state of learning.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Don't need oil, though it doesn't hurt anything if you use it. Just lightly pinch the blade between folds of a towel and gently wipe it dry and clean, then give it a dozen laps on your strop. Be careful to get no water in the pivot area. I rinse but many here wipe on a damp sponge. Congratulations and many happy shaves to come.

Congratulations! That is a prodigious start. Go ahead and use your other hand, too. It may feel weird at first, but many people find that it becomes natural quickly.

I don't oil my razors. I just dry them well and store them in a well-ventilated place.

I rinse mine during the shave. I hate having little hairs hanging around. Also, I gauge the lather consistently by how easily it washes off from the edge. When it needs to be wiped off, it's too dry/thick.

I am a faucet rinser, edge down, toe down. The pivot area should not get wet, neither should the scales.

I store all my razors on TSS silicon sleeves, never had a problem with rust and I never oil.

Watching a video or two won't hurt and will help to show how to reach the parts that you struggled with GEOFAT on youtube is a good place to start.

Good to hear no stitches were needed. I plan on my first straight razor shave attempt this weekend, using the one I got from a PIF as well. I've actually considered using like a butter knife to practice angles and get some initial muscle memory learning started. Not the same shape, but I can hold it similar enough, I think. Or does that sound like a crazy idea? lol

Top Bottom