What's new

First straight razor shave! Thanks to @doc47 and this community!

First off, a big THANK YOU to [MENTION=110007]doc47[/MENTION] who graciously gifted me a vintage Straight Razor!

I received the razor today, and was super excited. It's awesome. So I usually wait to shave before I go to sleep because I find it very relaxing. But... I couldn't wait.

I showered, then made a nice lather with Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber, and got to it. I have been told to start with just the sides the first time, but decided that was the only tip I was going to disregard and shaved a complete one pass.

It was very enjoyable! Not the closest shave, but it was one pass WTG, and then XTG on my chin and mustache ( which are BBS ). I am glad it's not too close everywhere so I can shave tomorrow too.

Quite a bit of tugging when my angle was off, and I had 3 days growth which is pretty long and coarse. Overall it was a great experience, and more relaxing than my normal de shave. Best of all NO BLOOD. Not a single weeper even, that was unexpected.

Splashed on some Witch Hazel, followed by Clubman Pinaud. I feel great.

Thanks to everyone for their help and input, and the awesome PIF.

I AM HOOKED!!

Nice!!!! Sounds like you are hooked for sure....just remember to watch the blade angle, stretch the skin and most important of all "relax and enjoy".

:thumbup:

Absolutely AWESOME!!! I've come to find it very hard to switch back to DEs after using straights for a number of months now. It just gets better and better!

I have to add .. it took me probably 30 minutes so I was being careful.. also the longest single pass shave I've ever had:001_rolle

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience. It is posts such as these that continue to inspire me to try SR shaving. If all goes well, and their shop opens tomorrow in spite of the icy roads, I will have my Wade & Butcher honed at Portland Razor Company.

I have to add .. it took me probably 30 minutes so I was being careful.. also the longest single pass shave I've ever had:001_rolle

You have shown great wisdom I think; for myself, I like taking my time, but as I have got a little more profivient over the past six months, I now find myself feeling a pang of disappointment when the shave is completed!

Best of luck for the future.

C.

Top Bottom